Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ummmm I'm A Slacker?

Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati+21 July 2003 - 14:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati @ 21 July 2003 - 14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 13:57
    <!--QuoteBegin-Illuminati
    @21 July 2003 - 13:56
    "If a tree falls and no-one&#39;s around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Yes
    But my dear JPaul - How can you be sure that it makes a sound if no-one&#39;s around to hear it... [/b][/quote]
    You can video it and watch / listen later. That way no one was around when the tree fell.

However when the tape was listened to the sound could be heard.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by JPaul+21 July 2003 - 14:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 21 July 2003 - 14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Illuminati@21 July 2003 - 14:26

Yes

But my dear JPaul - How can you be sure that it makes a sound if no-one&#39;s around to hear it...
    You can video it and watch / listen later. That way no one was around when the tree fell.

However when the tape was listened to the sound could be heard. [/b][/quote]
    Heh - Don&#39;t forget that this was an old Chinese riddle designed to clear a person&#39;s mind.

They wouldn&#39;t have had videos, or the grasp of physics that we have now. But it could be done like that nowadays

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster

I think it&#39;s a zen thing

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 08:32
    Not at all, quite the reverse, they seem defensive.
    In order for me to be defensive would require for me to percieve you as offensive.

I do not find you offensive JP.

My use of the words curt and harsh were merely a little joke since I have seen you use them before.

Your vocabulary is obviously superior to mine.

Perhaps I rely too much on sarcasm to make up for that.

Edit: spelling

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by tite-wad@21 July 2003 - 14:45

My use of the words curt and harsh were merely a little joke since I have seen you use them before.

I thought as much, tho I wasn&#39;t sure. I often find your sense of humour / hidden messages somewhat singular.

When I read the riddle pages I have to go back to check what you said, when you have made a hidden guess. I normally don&#39;t catch them the first time round.

I have also seen you use barsteward recently, a particular favourite of mine.

Re the vocabulary thing, now I know you are being sarcastic, which really is a bit h4r5h.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    It&#39;s probably what "they" call a coan (or koan).

I watch a teacher lecture on the sutras
    His eloquence flows like running water.
    Expounding on the five stages
    And the eight categories,
    He explains them with unequaled cleverness.
    They proclaim themselves masters
    And others believe it.
    However, question them about the essence of Zen
    And they have no useful answer.

- Ryokan (1758-1831

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Originally posted by JPaul@21 July 2003 - 08:50
    Re the vocabulary thing, now I know you are being sarcastic, which really is a bit h4r5h.
    Although I recognize and understand the words you use (well 99% of the time anyway), you seem to have the ability to pull the more eloquent words quickly from within your brain.

I on the other hand, often have to ponder for a while to be able to express myself in a similar fashion.

That is why I feel that your vocab is better than mine - perhaps it is rather more your "command of the language" of which I refer.

(Have I just proven my own point?)

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@21 July 2003 - 14:53
    It&#39;s probably what "they" call a coan (or koan).

I though it was choan - live and learn I suppose.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Koans are the folk stories of Zen Buddhism, metaphorical narratives that particularize essential nature. Each koan is a window that show the whole truth but just from a single vantage. It is limited in perspective.One hundred koans give one hundred vantages. When they are enriched with insightful comments and poems, then you have ten thousand vantages. There is no end to this process of enrichment." (Aitken 1990b:ix)

I think the very nature of a koan makes every spelling form correct&#33;&#33;

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul+21 July 2003 - 15:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 21 July 2003 - 15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Illuminati@21 July 2003 - 14:26

Yes

But my dear JPaul - How can you be sure that it makes a sound if no-one&#39;s around to hear it...

However when the tape was listened to the sound could be heard. [/b][/quote]
    Trees would know you planted that cam/microphone.
    They would still refuse to make a sound while falling down, just to confuse you.
    Besides, what if your mike was broken?
    And oh yes, the falling is relatively silent, is the landing that causes all that racket.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast