Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you do with your seedbox?

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    There are three reasons for me, two have already been mentioned I have a bad internet connection so cannot compete with others who have far superior cable connections, and to build a buffer on a/c's so that I can download what I like without having to worry if it will negatively affect my ratio since there is a big enough buffer so that I can download what I like even if it is an old torrent.
    But the third reason is security, the IP address that is madly uploading and downloading torrents is in Germany on the other side of the world from me no C&D letters for me

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Not everything is about money

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    There are three reasons for me, two have already been mentioned I have a bad internet connection so cannot compete with others who have far superior cable connections, and to build a buffer on a/c's so that I can download what I like without having to worry if it will negatively affect my ratio since there is a big enough buffer so that I can download what I like even if it is an old torrent.
    But the third reason is security, the IP address that is madly uploading and downloading torrents is in Germany on the other side of the world from me no C&D letters for me
    I'm with you on this one!I hope it is safer this way.
    Because that's what I'm doing also.
    Last edited by mr.Dman; 11-27-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    the one thing i dont agree on is to get the files faster. how the hell is it going get you the file faster when you have to download the file all over again with your real internet connection? if it would go straight to your pc then that would be good, but its not

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNa View Post
    the one thing i dont agree on is to get the files faster. how the hell is it going get you the file faster when you have to download the file all over again with your real internet connection? if it would go straight to your pc then that would be good, but its not
    But my home up speed is only 1/10 of my down speed (and that is good for here, most are only 1/20), so I can grab & seed from the seedbox and be 1:1 in no time, at the same time FTPing the files back to me at home, believe me - it is quicker!

I also upload to other sites, which I like doing, and never in a million years could I do that from home

And my ISP has just cut in half my ISP costs, so it nearly pays for my monthly seedbox, and as mentioned, it keeps your home IP from appearing in the swarm when something big appears and you never know who is watching

And considering my phone bills were absolutely huge 10 years ago by being on a 56k modem 20 hours out of 24, what I pay today for my ISP, phone & a seedbox are a pittance in comparison.

I cannot imagine being without my little seedbox these days tbh, it has dramatically improved my torrenting habits.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    But my home up speed is only 1/10 of my down speed (and that is good for here, most are only 1/20), so I can grab & seed from the seedbox and be 1:1 in no time, at the same time FTPing the files back to me at home, believe me - it is quicker!

I also upload to other sites, which I like doing, and never in a million years could I do that from home

And my ISP has just cut in half my ISP costs, so it nearly pays for my monthly seedbox, and as mentioned, it keeps your home IP from appearing in the swarm when something big appears and you never know who is watching

And considering my phone bills were absolutely huge 10 years ago by being on a 56k modem 20 hours out of 24, what I pay today for my ISP, phone & a seedbox are a pittance in comparison.

I cannot imagine being without my little seedbox these days tbh, it has dramatically improved my torrenting habits.
    Agree with almost every words, what Sgt. told here. I only add that having a seedbox is a little bit like a game: what to seed, tactics, strategy etc. Not buffering nowadays that much - I already to be considered a ratio- whore on most sites.
    And at last but not at least I spare my home computer...It does not have to be on 24- a-day. It lives (nad serves) longer. For example I downloaded Heroes s02e10 in the morning (1 min. 20 seconds), transferred it to my home computer via TotalCommander -FTP, went to work, and I'll watch it when I get back home!
    A malis vituperari laus est.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    thechile's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i use it to download while at work and ftp the stuff down to home pc at night.. i also use it to proxy while in work so i bypass the works stupid content blocking system. nice.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    i also take mine for long walks on the beach
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    At what point would you recommend a Seedbox (in terms of volumes etc)?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolboystuff View Post
    At what point would you recommend a Seedbox (in terms of volumes etc)?
    The minute you need to upload more than you download, if you find you are needing that more & more each day, and your up speed is severely curtailed, that is when you need a speedbox, especially if you are from the UK as your flag implies?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast