Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why the....

Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    1) Lurker or Inactive. Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

2) Active Lurker. These people tend to make an initial welcome post, but their main interest is the browse page, where they download torrents, sometimes leaving comments for the uploader.

3) Community Member. As well as browsing the torrent page, they are active either in the forums or IRC (or both). These members actively contribute to the community spirit of the site, and may end up being nominated for staff positions because of their commitment to the forums and IRC.

i disagree that most community members are either something or something else. i see your point but it sounds as if you're putting people into either a special box or a looser box.
    Last edited by Alien5; 11-28-2007 at 03:15 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    durex's Avatar PEACE AND LOVE BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    .........i only need uk-t and ftwr and im not gonna ever get in those. imo its pointless to go after those unless you actually do like reading and posting in forums since thats mainly what they have going for them over other trackers.
    You're so wrong .
    Anyway isn't posting what you do on Revolt ?

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    While there are certainly gradations between all three stereotypes, they do in fact comprise the major groupings in a given tracker. That there are those who you might have difficulty classifying does not mean the three groups do not exist, merely that a small minority borders inbetween the groups .
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    so what you're saying is that im in the category that doesn't even exist, therefore im irrelevant?

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    @TheFox

In your specific case, if think one thing would give a boost right away, and that's an upload button that you don't have to apply for. I have on several occasions looked through the requests section and thought "Nah.. why bother". It would at least make the club I'm most interested in more active I feel. Also it would prevent +90% of all torrents coming from the scene.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 11-28-2007 at 03:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    i disagree that most community members are either something or something else. i see your point but it sounds as if you're putting people into either a special box or a looser box.

I could have created 10 gradients or 100 gradients or 1,000 gradients or 1,000,0000 gradients.

I created the three main categories of members. It is obvious that some members will slot in between categories, or be closer to one category than another.

As for putting anyone in a box, that is something I would never do, nor would I need to do, since people are more than capable of putting themselves into boxes.

For example, while the majority of people are honest sharers, we all have our fair share of cheaters. These people, when caught, will blithely refute that they cheated the tracker. Now when the cheat is borderline, we may have to swallow our pride and rescind any action taken, yet when the cheat stands out (like the 10 M/bit upload to no leechers), we do the necessary. It's ironic that those caught cheating in a big way actually believe that they are innocent of any transgression.

But, cheating is cheating. If someone wants to cheat, and they get caught, they put themselves in to the category of cheater, not the admin.

The police do not label someone as a murderer because they murdered. The person guilty of the murder labels them self as a murderer simply because of the act of committing the crime.

If I speed in my car, I am a speeder, whether I am caught by the police or not. If I cheat a torrent site, I am a cheater whether the admin catch me or not. If I am a lurker, that is by my own actions. If I am an Active community member, it is not because the admin/staff want me to be, but because I want to be.

You say that I am placing people in boxes, but they do that themselves. By naming the boxes, I am only highlighting the existence of those boxes. If I didn't highlight those boxes, they would still exist regardless.

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    Sharing since 2002 BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by durex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    .........i only need uk-t and ftwr and im not gonna ever get in those. imo its pointless to go after those unless you actually do like reading and posting in forums since thats mainly what they have going for them over other trackers.
    You're so wrong .
    Nope, he is absolutely right. Nobody cares about FTWR, UK-T and REVOLT torrents. People just want to join those sites to belong a restrict community where everything is discussed.

If you have no time to participate in forums those sites are useless.

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    so what you're saying is that im in the category that doesn't even exist, therefore im irrelevant?
    I think you also overlooked the point that I, at no point, said that those categories were exclusive. I just listed the three that I feel best describe most members.

We all know that there will be special categories for special individuals.

I could have listed the first category as two categories.

1) Heterosexual Lurker or Inactive. Heterosexual Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

2) Homosexual Lurker or Inactive. Homosexual Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

Then, of course, I might offend members who want me to differentiate between the sexes...

1) Heterosexual Male Lurker or Inactive. Heterosexual Male Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

2) Homosexual Male Lurker or Inactive. Homosexual Male Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

3) Heterosexual Female Lurker or Inactive. Heterosexual Femaile Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

4) Homosexual Female Lurker or Inactive. Homosexual Female Members who may browse from time to time, download the odd torrent or make the odd post. They never inhabit IRC, and may actually allow their account to decay.

If we were to analyse the human race, we could actually have numerous inputs just for one category. We could end up with millions of possibilities, let alone when we start to apply browsing habits as well.

4,145,472) Active Homosexual Male Lurker (age 26-31). These people tend to make an initial welcome post, but their main interest is the homosexual pr0n section of the browse page, where they download pr0n torrents, sometimes leaving lurid comments for the uploader.

9. BitTorrent   -   #79
    durex's Avatar PEACE AND LOVE BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Ri0N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by durex View Post

You're so wrong .
    Nope, he is absolutely right. Nobody cares about FTWR, UK-T and REVOLT torrents. People just want to join those sites to belong a restrict community where everything is discussed.

If you have no time to participate in forums those sites are useless.
    So why not remove the torrents from those sites ? Yah sure since almost people is posting and none using their torrents.
    (of course Revolt is a little different, but it's suppose to be).
    But i think this isn't the right place to have this conversation.

10. BitTorrent   -   #80
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    (Exclusivity) Some people feel the need to be apart of something which is not necessarily good it's a closed door everybody want's some it's human nature (Curiosity).

(Ranking) Some people just want to climb the ranking ladder and they feel more important behind the highest of walls then later they can brag once they are at the top.

(Traders) This could last forever so just one example of my opinion. People are just searching for a home where they may find the best possible site to suit their needs once this has happend they stay some just want it all and hope later they can get to the top again.

Why they go to such extream lengths? that's in the first two.

Me i have tryed twice in a giveaway my luck was pulled and i gave up i'm quite happy where i am untill i move along that's not to say i would turn down anything just to see what the hype is about i have been on many different sites over in the past year or so half of them i have left as i found something i was more happy with now i have stuck you could find many sites that people would say it's better because it's high in the ranks i would disagree and vote some of the lower ranked sites due to personal preferance as i said it's all about a home for most of us
    Last edited by sleepyy; 11-28-2007 at 03:51 AM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast