Thread: Hard Drive Based Mp3 Players

IM IN THE MARKET FOR A HARD DISK BASED MP3 PLAYER TO TAKE AWAY WITH ME ON MY TRAVELS, IVE BEEN RESEARCHING THIS FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY INFO U COULD SHARE WITH ME AND ANYONE ELSE, WHO MAY BE IN THE MARKET.

BATTERY LIFE, RELIABILITY, EASE OF USE, INCLUDED SOFTWARE ETC

ANY OTHER INFORMATION WOULD BE USEFUL, ALSO ON EARPHONES TOO, I THINK IVE DECIDED ON THOSE THO......PAIR OF BANG & OLUFSEN A8`S

creative zen

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I've got the Creative DAP (Digital Audio Player aka. Nomad) 6GB which was one of the first hard disc based players. The build quality is rubbish and battery life not too great. Sound quality is good though.

I know you are considering buying one of the newer players so the build quality and battery life will be better.

What i would consider is this:-
    1) Are you clumsy? If you drop it on something hard, there's a very good chance the hard disc will shatter. Did you ever drop a cassette walkman? Do that once with one of these things, and that might well be it!! ByeBye £200+.
    2) Do you really need to carry so much music? Even my 6GB i found to be unneccessary, i fill the thing up but usually only listen to a certain ammount of stuff.
    3) Is it worth the money? You could get a great mp3 CD player like this one with an FM tuner for a fraction of the cost. Each cd could probably store 150 songs at 192. You'd also get better battery life.

My advice? Get an mp3 walkman like iRivers. You could always burn your mp3 collection to cdr's and take them with you, and you could also listen to the radio. I'm off travelling to India in a few months and that's what i'll be doing.

Where are you going travelling? I'm off soon for six months and i'm really excited.

Take care my friend.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i suggest without speding all that money u could get a cd walkman with mp3 playback capabilties so u could burn more songs on one cd and listen to it on the road.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    chalkmongoose
    I've seen friends with IPods (me too poor for one), and I think they look nice. I'd recommend saving some money though. Unless you like a lot of music, an IPOD is excessive.
    Also, what sort of connection does an drive-based MP3 player use? Because I'm thinking if it's serial/ATA based, just go and find a 120 gig hd online for maybe 100 bucks, and then purchase a nice cheap as hell 128mg drive-based player...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You know when it comes to this stuff i would have to say go mini-disk. I fu**in love mine, except that burns at real time. (that was stupid of me, should have waited a week, didn;t know. But the comparison for me is, equall quality, about same price for hardware. No liit. I mean ya 120GB of music is a shit load, but most do not have that. Min-disk is what 2 bucks. Easy to organize, I think that the hardrive way would be a little harder. Plus how often does a hardrive crash. Not big into this stuff just my suggestion on it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if i had loads of spare cash lying around, i might get an HD-based mp3 player... from what i know, they're very reliable and they don't skip.

but mp3 CD players are a much better value, if you can live with the occasional skip (my mp3 discman rarely skips at all, even when i've got it plugged into my car's cassette deck and drive up & down hills). CD-R's are extremely cheap.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle

my friend has this one - 20gb hard drive, plays movie files (640x480 screen i think), displays pictures, came with a movie camera

hes dropped it a few times but it seems ok, but the paint work is peeling off - he doesn't really care if it gets damaged because he's insured the rich bastard
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    If i was you i would get the Nike Mp3/Cd player! you can have 700MB of music in ONE cd..thats a ton...and it will only cost you $100...and u can also play cds..unlike mps playerz...and the only point i see in Mp3 players is the SIZE and HD based ones are big....i like the cd/mp3 players...
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i got a cd based mp3 player, its pretty good, it also plays vcds aswell. cds are cheap so nothing wrong with that, also not as much music to look throught to find the one you want, it also reads cdrw's so i dont even have to waste cdr's/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    n18's Avatar Death God
    I've been looking for a new audio player and was really interested in a nomad zen nx 30gig ( 250$&#036 But you guys on k-lite sure layed on alot of negative comments although i don't think most of those come from ppl who didnt actually own them..

MP3/CD player is nice, but im tired of cdplayers, too big compared to zen/ipod

also when it comes to ipod vs. zen nx i belive zen nx is better. atlhough slightly larger, it has a removable battery, 14 hour battery life. Also its alot cheaper. cheapest ipod is 300$ and thats a 5gig one ( even thought i feel 5gig is enough )And if creative make soundcards the nx should have awsome sound quality...

So Zen nX I feel is a perfect/cheapest mp3 playerfor me, and if you're like me, and download tons of mp3s but no time to listen, pop it into the zen and listen.
    ( got 50gigs of mp3s and about 5% is on cd just too lazy)

I'm not really worried about breaking the zen, since is very small could keep it in my jacket or hand, not that clumsy either And there is always a 1yr warranty..