Thread: Remember Joke About Solar Powered Flash Lights?

chalkmongoose
    Never-Dying Flashlight
    Boy this really makes my day. Lets see, I could go to Duane Read and buy a 5/10 dollar flash light, a pack of Double As, and an extra bulb for oh, roughly fifteen bucks. Result? Anywhere from half to three or four days of nice bright light.
    Or wait, I could purchase a 40 dollar gizmo that looks like it could break any second, and provides a tiny beam of light for two minutes, after shaking it furiously.
    I think I've made my choice...
    *blinks*

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Anyone who has ever been camping will know that torches tend to run out just when you need them the most. It would also be a great thing for, say, a female driver to have in the event of a breakdown. Or to keep in the house in case of a power cut.

A "tiny beam of light" would not be visible for one mile. Furthermore, i doubt you would need to shake it "furiously" for a magnet to pass through a coil. And (more exageration) 30 seconds of shaking apparently give a 5 minute charge, not "2 minutes". And it does have a one year warranty, if it were to break "any second".

Also, and off topic, i find your sig most offensive. Although it is left to the imagination, portraying children in this adult scenario is repugnant and i would question why anyone might find it funny.

Oh look, a child has had her genitalia pierced.

Hilarious.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    chalkmongoose
    Did you read the caption under it? Because I don't find it funny at all. I find the fact that our society had grown into what it has a version of hell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by chalkmongoose@ 22 July 2003 - 03:08
    Did you read the caption under it? Because I don't find it funny at all. I find the fact that our society had grown into what it has a version of hell.
    And your posting this image is going to help change that. That's a great idea!! Lets get disturbing imagery into the mainstream.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    u could get wind up / squeeze powered torches years ago, apparently they were first used by the russian army. I had one back in the day and it actually produced a lot of light and was very durable (tho back then u had to keep squeezing). Also free energy and u don't have to dick around looking for batteries

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Increased use of high brightness LED lighting is certainly on the way. It certainly makes sense, why produce all that wasted heat with an incandescent bulb?

If you don't want 'free energy' lighting, it should certainly be possible to produce a useful alternative with long 'shelf-life' lithium batteries. These would be ideal for the breakdown or power-cut scenario.

Speaking of low-energy lighting, just last night I was looking for a source of replacement bulbs (CFL - compact fluorescent lamps) which are suitable for use with dimmer switches. I have seen a few in the past, but only at suppliers who seemed to be intent on making a killing on them, so they were not financially viable.

I found over 100 references in the UK, but is is amazing how many of these were actually for low-voltage bulbs (ie 12v Halogen) which are certainly not low-energy. Of the remaining couple of dozen or so sites, only two had any reference to dimmable lamps, but I know from experience that most CFL types are not dimmable. And of those two, one was for complete lamps not the replacement bulbs (makes you wonder where people who buy those will be able to get replacements), the other was a manufacturer and had no reference to stockists.

I suppose I will just have to keep looking.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.