Thread: This May Be A Stupid Question, But....

I thought bins were pretty highly compressable, in general... what gives? I can understand movies NOT being compressed due to their already highly compressed selves, but since bins for games can still be compressed quite a bit, why not compress them first?

EDIT: re-worded it so I don't sound like an idiot.

2. Games   -   #2
    People are too lazy to wait forever for a file to compress...And most people downloading them are on broadband, a few extra minutes downloading doesn't really matter...

3. Games   -   #3
    They do, that is what all the questions are about.
    "i have a winrar file, i extrat it and I get a bunch more winrar files what do I do
    That is a very high rate of compression commonly used, especially for torrents. The reason that they are not highly available on kazaa like that is because they are extracted and the bins are put on the hardrive, incase they are need again. Extraction is a pain in the ass, I dont know why it is, it saves like 2 hours of download time (on four cd games) but it just is.

4. Games   -   #4
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I've often wondered the same thing. Whenever I get a .bin file, I convert it to .iso which is smaller, then I make a self-extracting .rar file which is even smaller yet. I do that so it's easier for others to download, but I worry that some newbies might expect the .exe file to automatically install the game, then when it just extracts the image file they don't know what to do with it.

5. Games   -   #5
    Well, n00bs shouldn't be downloading if they havent rtfm heh...

6. Games   -   #6
    Originally posted by Xilo@22 July 2003 - 03:32
    People are too lazy to wait forever for a file to compress...And most people downloading them are on broadband, a few extra minutes downloading doesn't really matter...
    extra minutes!!!!! files that large never get high bandiwidth cause people don't shre them..a*******.....anyway im on a cable conection and it always take me ttwo to three days to download .bins....Also...all the other asshole broadband users need to stop puttin their upload stream to 1kbps...you don't gain any dl by lowering your ul...

7. Games   -   #7
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@22 July 2003 - 16:40
    I've often wondered the same thing. Whenever I get a .bin file, I convert it to .iso which is smaller, then I make a self-extracting .rar file which is even smaller yet. I do that so it's easier for others to download, but I worry that some newbies might expect the .exe file to automatically install the game, then when it just extracts the image file they don't know what to do with it.
    Well does that really help. I mean now instead of you becoming a nother pesrons to download a pupular file from, you now are the only one with a popualr file. Unless you are using a 1:1 type peer to peer (direct connect) that does not really help anyone.

8. Games   -   #8
    Lol, it takes two to three days to download bins? You should try something else out to download them then.