Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Freezing problem.

can I curse? FUCK!
    Hey guys. I'm currently testing my 4 sticks of ram using memtest86+. It seems that one of the sticks are faulty and the other sticks I'm testing right now. The weird thing is that when I tested the second stick, it turned out fine for 20 min and then I retested it and it started freezing up the system which isn't the strangest part.
    When I'm testing that stick in memtest, the + sign is still flashing which means it hasn't completely frozen. It can't be normal for memtest because it was stuck on the 1min duration of testing for five minutes.

edit: forgot to mention that I've tried testing the PSU to see if it was giving enough power by unplugging hard drives and dvd roms and it would still freeze. So far I'm down to mobo or ram.
    Last edited by Shiranai_Baka; 12-02-2007 at 08:21 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I ordered a patriot 2x2GB on newegg. Once the patriot ram comes, I'm going to rma my four sticks back to newegg and conclude on my findings here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    This should be interesting.
    I know that earlier nForce chipsets had issues when all four DIMM slots were populated but don't know if the later versions (as implemented on the AM2 platform) do.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Odd.

My Vista PC (AM2, 4400+ X2) has 4G of Patriot RAM, and has begun to freeze-up over the past few weeks.

I'm not limited to that PC, so I had decided to adopt a strategy of patience in sorting the problem, which in turn has led me to a state of sloth and inaction.

Give me some ideas to get me off the mark, please.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok so the patriot sticks are coming tomorrow. The weird thing is that I was playing/using the computer the whole day yesterday with my ram in the 1st and 3rd slot and it was running fine (but sluggish with the game open and browsing). But now it is not even booting to windows. Is that the same with you j2k4?

edit: In response to Clocker's reply, I've had all four slots occupied for several months already so that means they've fixed it right?
    Last edited by Shiranai_Baka; 12-04-2007 at 12:10 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    Ok so the patriot sticks are coming tomorrow. The weird thing is that I was playing/using the computer the whole day yesterday with my ram in the 1st and 3rd slot and it was running fine (but sluggish with the game open and browsing). But now it is not even booting to windows. Is that the same with you j2k4?

edit: In response to Clocker's reply, I've had all four slots occupied for several months already so that means they've fixed it right?
    I've had 4G right from the start, with no indication that the RAM is the problem, but when this freezing phenomenon began, I could maybe go for an hour (about as long as I can stand to sit at the machine), or it might freeze after five minutes, or it might freeze after ten seconds, or it might freeze before I can input my password.

All freezes require a manual shutdown.

It began to be "more than a mere Vista problem" after some MS updates, after which I did a restore, but to no real avail.

The machine has twice informed me it is going to "fix itself", after which period I can operate for a few minutes, then it shits out.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    melatonin's Avatar the entertainer™ BT Rep: +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90
    i have a 7 months old system and i've never seen any reset or bsod in this 7 months but last week it gone crazy, i'm constantly gettin resets, freezes and etc. also my collegue started to have same issues too. my board is asus striker and rams were kingston 3x1gigs. and also that weekend when i left my comp for a day open when i came back i found it restarted even its configured to ask me first bofore updating...

i dont know if i am being paranoid or is this thing happening to lots of people ?
    " Verba Volant Scripta Manent "

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    @Shirinai_Baka...are you running Vista as well?
    Wonder if this could be an update issue...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Yeah I'm running vista 32bit but the problem is that I'm freezing at the POST which is definitely not the OS's problem.

I also have to shut the computer off if it freezes. If I press the reset button it get stuck and no display from the monitor. Its really weird.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok so the problem is NOT my ram. I've just received my patriot ram today and it still hangs with no display. I'm thinking it is my motherboard if anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast