Thread: File Sharing over a Linksys router

alevine1986
    I'm sure this is a basic question, but I can't seem to figure this out myself. My setup...

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router
    Desktop running Windows Vista Pro, which is hard wired to the router
    Laptop running Windows XP Home which is connected wireless to the router

I have made sure that Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP was selected on both network connections and that File and Print Sharing is connected.

I shared a drive on both boxes to test.

Both can connect to the Internet fine and when I go into the router's status, I see both in the DHCP Clients Table.

On the Desktop, I see the laptop's machine name in the Network folder in Windows explorer. On the laptop, I cannot even access the workgroup tab (both are in the WORKGROUP workgroup). I cannot ping either from the other box.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by alevine1986 View Post
    I'm sure this is a basic question, but I can't seem to figure this out myself. My setup...

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router
    Desktop running Windows Vista Pro, which is hard wired to the router
    Laptop running Windows XP Home which is connected wireless to the router

I have made sure that Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP was selected on both network connections and that File and Print Sharing is connected.

I shared a drive on both boxes to test.

Both can connect to the Internet fine and when I go into the router's status, I see both in the DHCP Clients Table.

On the Desktop, I see the laptop's machine name in the Network folder in Windows explorer. On the laptop, I cannot even access the workgroup tab (both are in the WORKGROUP workgroup). I cannot ping either from the other box.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm missing here?
    I am connecting via PPPoE
    Last edited by alevine1986; 12-04-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost