Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Static IP

53 33.13%
  • Dynamic IP

107 66.88%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Static IP VS Dynamic IP

GoLDeN's Avatar Black'n'White BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    dynamic it keeps me safe
    When You Trade You Don't Only Risk Your Account And The Site Security But You Show A Great DisRespects To The Site Staff And Members
    Screw Traders

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Poster
    Dynamic is no more secure than static

Security is down to the user, not the IP.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    got milk BT Rep: +2
    dynamic is better because you can download from rapidshare like a premium user.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Static, and i perfer it. I have no idea how users can say dynamic is more secure than static. Secure from what ?
    My e-penis is so big it makes John Holmes look like a little boy.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    It's pretty rare that you will actually have a static IP. Most service providers will give you an IP with a 4 or 5 day lease. It shouldn't matter from a speed/routing perspective. Chances are though, if you're at a school, or workplace, (or just have an unconfigured home router) and have a dynamic IP then it is probably NATed, and not connectable unless you initiate the TCP session.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheffy View Post
    Static, and i perfer it. I have no idea how users can say dynamic is more secure than static. Secure from what ?
    Having worked for an ISP for a I can tell you we get lots of letters from the RIAA. If they have the IP address and its been statically assigned, I can just log into the router and find the MAC address and client info of that user. They usually include the IP addresses in these letters. Since DHCP address will eventually age out and get re-assigned, they can't prove it was you using it.
    Last edited by Mikey2bz; 12-07-2007 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey2bz View Post
    Having worked for an ISP for a I can tell you we get lots of letters from the RIAA. If they have the IP address and its been statically assigned, I can just log into the router and find the MAC address and client info of that user. They usually include the IP addresses in these letters. Since DHCP address will eventually age out and get re-assigned, they can't prove it was you using it.
    Don't they have logs of a subscriber's previous IP addresses? That's what I always figured.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    They can only be tied to the mac address though.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    DannyGnXz's Avatar Just say NO 2 Tradin BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Armagedon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bhovoi View Post
    i have dynamic..how did you DL from RS?
    just reboot your modem after each download
    This is true, rebooting changes your ip.

The Spirit of Something Greater

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It is safer and also helps me to download from rapidshare without have to wait for long time.
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Most ISPs charge a nice fee for a static ip so no thx. Ipv4 is going to run out of ips sooner or later... exciting for me because it will have a bunch of businesses trying to convert in hopefully a short period of time, giving me ample work opportunities.
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast