Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Books Ever

I have to be honest, I've never read American Psycho, but I really like the movie in fact I think it was really misunderstood. For what I heard american Psycho it's an ultraviolent book, really explicit and you are right when you think that violence is not reflected in the same way in the movie. In fact what the movie does is using that particular Yuppie era that the book portrait and treated in a very ironic way, From the poster, to the previous book, and everything, people where expecting another serial killer movie, and what did they found?, an ironic, really clever dark COMEDY, never the less it has really great violence scenes, without showing the axe breaking the skull. I found many of the dialogs hillarious, and the period is recreated in an excellent way, from the music, the clothes and details like that shoe size cell phones and the video rent moda. What I mean when I put Polanski's sentence above, is that is an error to transpose a book exactly to a film, in fact is imposible, we are talking of another totally different format with a very different approach. Great directors took a book or the idea on it, or even the effect that produce on them, that may not have anything to do with what the original statement, in a way to carry their own speech. Of course that didn't produce every time a great movie but you are closer than if you want to transcript a book. Finally a book it's one of the most introspective experiences that you can have, and is really close to us, so when a film doesn't reflects what the book produced to us, we felt betrayed; give the movie a second chance and you would see I great dark comedy, with superb actings, and if you don't like it, what the hell everyone has the right to choose wethever they like, Do you know where the problem is? When they told you not to complain because you can choose what ever you want, and you have to choose between a Tolkien book or Harry potter, in film terms: between a Disney summer film or another Great Disney summer film.

BYE

2. Lounge   -   #42
    I found that Black Boy by Richard Wright has become a personal favorite for me.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    imported_The__One
    can't belive no one mentioned Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, really great books! Also, Philip Pullmans The Golden Compass triliogy is outstanding

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Victor Hugo - Les Miserables
    Mark Twain - Huckleberry Finn
    Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
    Ray Bradbury - Dandelion Wine
    John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath

5. Lounge   -   #45
    please forgive for not listing a classic

but a book to me that really stands out and is in a league of its own is

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

its killer
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Lord of the rings

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Poster
    At school I read this french book caled Tricolore...oh yeah it was a study book....doh!!

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Id have to go with lord of the rings, read it at least once a year but it has to be over a weekend cause when i start i just read it straight through.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Id have to go with lord of the rings, read it at least once a year but it has to be over a weekend cause when i start i just read it straight through.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    I liked lord of the rings by:J.r.r Tolkien

and

"The Island of DR. Moreau" by:g.w. Wells

Ohh and

"Rainbow six" by: Tom Clancy

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast