Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [U.S.] Major copyright bill boosts penalties, creates new agency

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    1. That poster that said suing people for piracy makes enemies out of the people is talking bullshit.

People pirate anyway cuz they can. Whether the RIAA sues or not, people will still pirate....cuz they can.

You may "try before you buy" but most of us don't.

I bought wayyyy more CDs before than I do now. I remember buying tons even when they had those long cardboard boxes.

Th fact is people don't buy less cuz the quality of music went down. They are ripping, downloading, burning their stuff more.

2. The Ipod market was created out of the popularity of piracy. Mp3s made piracy easier for the average joe. Now the only way to combat this leads to.....

3......,ironically, DRM free music for sale. Amazon does it and others will follow suit.

4. When people says things like "the creativity will still be there" you must remember, it is not for you to judge whether or not a person should be able to make a decent amount of change making music.

5. Also saying "that pop garbage" is underdog talk. It's the stuff at the time that sells the most at the time, basically. I remember when all rap was underground. Now there's a segment in rap called pop. Why? It sells to the masses.

If you pirate music, just say so. I do all the time but I actually do buy a super-quality album (almost every song is good). However, I buy CDs way less because I can. That coupled with CD prices being expensive many times ($18 for a CD!) or the prospect of buying a whole CD for one good song and piracy looks more attractive.

I don't make bullshit excuses to justify what I do.

2. News (Archive)   -   #22
    Dr. Floydian
    On an INDIAN RESERVATION

according to this
    http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/W...d=020002G01ZTW

The lady lived on an indian reservation. No wonder she fought it.

Indian reservations are supposed to be sovereign nations by law, yet they get trampled by the DEA when they want to grow industrial hemp, and now sued by the RIAA which shouldn't have any power on their lands at all.

These people are definitely struggling enough as it is, without the government extracting this kind of money from them.

All Hail the Great Satan

and to those who angered that I just insulted the country without consequence
    this little beauty might just do the trick in the future

H.R. 1955: Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-1955

3. News (Archive)   -   #23
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    1. That poster that said suing people for piracy makes enemies out of the people is talking bullshit.

People pirate anyway cuz they can. Whether the RIAA sues or not, people will still pirate....cuz they can.

I bought wayyyy more CDs before than I do now. I remember buying tons even when they had those long cardboard boxes.

Th fact is people don't buy less cuz the quality of music went down. They are ripping, downloading, burning their stuff more.

2. The Ipod market was created out of the popularity of piracy. Mp3s made piracy easier for the average joe. Now the only way to combat this leads to.....

3......,ironically, DRM free music for sale. Amazon does it and others will follow suit.

4. When people says things like "the creativity will still be there" you must remember, it is not for you to judge whether or not a person should be able to make a decent amount of change making music.

5. Also saying "that pop garbage" is underdog talk. It's the stuff at the time that sells the most at the time, basically. I remember when all rap was underground. Now there's a segment in rap called pop. Why? It sells to the masses.

If you pirate music, just say so. I do all the time but I actually do buy a super-quality album (almost every song is good). However, I buy CDs way less because I can. That coupled with CD prices being expensive many times ($18 for a CD!) or the prospect of buying a whole CD for one good song and piracy looks more attractive.

First off, I never made any excuses. In fact, I was the first one to admit that I outright stole music, period. And I wasn't making a "try before you buy" argument, I was saying that exposure to a wide range of music often makes music more important in your life than it would have been otherwise, making you a more active member of the musical community and more invested in its growth. And I also mentioned that that is not a valid justification for piracy.

But you reinforced my point: people pirate because they can, knowing it's illegal. People use drugs because they can, knowing it's illegal. The war on drugs has been an abysmal failure. The anti-piracy campaign has been an abysmal failure. These aren't coincidences -- it's the natural result of an organization attacking the very foundation they're built on.

I'm not interested in right or wrong (nothing could be less interesting to me), I'm just talking facts. The RIAA can't protect its self interest by holding a gun to the buyers' heads.

"Be easy, my ninja."

4. News (Archive)   -   #24
    But if they can't sell CD's, will bands, artists, record companies still record their music, so we can download it for free ?

Or will they say, stuff it, if you want to hear us, come to our concert !

Regards

Digby
    Last edited by digmen1; 12-07-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

5. News (Archive)   -   #25
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    The sincere artists will do what artists have done since the beginning of civilization: make art. And for most artists, profit from record sales is inferior to concerts, so CDs aren't going anywhere for now because that's still a very effective method of advertisement. Again, I'm not saying it's OK to to take the money out of their pocket (even though I'm not going to stop), but I am saying that the idea it'll make the music stop is laughable. See?

"Be easy, my ninja."

6. News (Archive)   -   #26
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    time to head over to usenet

7. News (Archive)   -   #27
    ...and yet millions of people still download music, video & software daily around the world

8. News (Archive)   -   #28
    And as the record companies continue to win battle's while losing the war, they will get more and more desperate.
    More money will go to more politician's to create more and more draconian laws. (they have willfully forgotten the lessons of prohibition)
    I don't pirate music. The pre-packaged pap they put out now makes me sick. I also don't buy music anymore either. The music industry and all this bullying disgusts me, and I have turned my back on them.
    You have one very angry former consumer right here, who does not like what the monied interests are doing to this country at all, changing the laws of to protect their personal revenues and empires while regular people go down for the count.

I will not be surprised at all to see a lot of these politicians testifying in court someday about who paid who and when, to enact laws like this.

9. News (Archive)   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problem is the flawed model bodies like RIAA present to the politicians they are lobbying.

They claim that because thousands of copies of albums are downloaded each day, each one of those copies is a lost sale. But that's complete BS, it is doubtful whether as much as 1% of the downloaded music would be purchased, simply because those downloading usually could not afford to spend that sort of money.

At the same time, there are organised criminals making hard copy duplicates of cds and passing them off at street markets as "cut-price originals", often because of dodgy packaging. These items are being purchased and are therefore directly identifiable as lost sales, yet the RIAA does little to publicise this or even make serious efforts at prevention.

Then you get the other nonsense, messages like "music piracy funds human trafficking". That has got to be the biggest load of crap of the lot. First of all it assumes that people who are downloading music are somehow feeding money into a human trafficking scheme. Secondly, it assumes that where human trafficking is taking place it isn't profitable and needs to be propped up by sales of pirated music; if it wasn't profitable why would anyone do it?

The problem ultimately comes down to the fact that our politicians are too thick to understand reality, and/or are getting some nice little kickbacks from the recording industry, probably in the form of donations to their re-election funds.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. News (Archive)   -   #30
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

First off, I never made any excuses. In fact, I was the first one to admit that I outright stole music, period. And I wasn't making a "try before you buy" argument, I was saying that exposure to a wide range of music often makes music more important in your life than it would have been otherwise, making you a more active member of the musical community and more invested in its growth. And I also mentioned that that is not a valid justification for piracy.

But you reinforced my point: people pirate because they can, knowing it's illegal. People use drugs because they can, knowing it's illegal. The war on drugs has been an abysmal failure. The anti-piracy campaign has been an abysmal failure. These aren't coincidences -- it's the natural result of an organization attacking the very foundation they're built on.

I'm not interested in right or wrong (nothing could be less interesting to me), I'm just talking facts. The RIAA can't protect its self interest by holding a gun to the buyers' heads.
    Great points.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123