Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [U.S.] Major copyright bill boosts penalties, creates new agency

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "In the aftermath of the $222,000 jury verdict that the Recording Industry Association of America recently won against a Minnesota woman who shared 24 songs on Kazaa, the U.S. Congress is preparing to amend copyright law."

"Politicians want to increase penalties for copyright infringement.

It's no joke. Top Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday introduced a sweeping 69-page bill that ratchets up civil penalties for copyright infringement, boosts criminal enforcement, and even creates a new federal agency charged with bringing about a national and international copyright crackdown.

"By providing additional resources for enforcement of intellectual property, we ensure that innovation and creativity will continue to prosper in our society," Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-Mich) said in a statement.

The legislation, called the Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act, or PRO IP Act, is throughly bipartisan. The top Republican, Lamar Smith of Texas, on the Judiciary committee is a sponsor. So is Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chair of the subcommittee that writes copyright law, and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.)."

Source: Full Article @ C|NET News.com
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    gotta wonder about the real reasoning behind this ?? - a genuine concern about the intellectual copyright of artists or a greater concern about the money that is being lost to american companies - mmm i wonder ??

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    where they idiots all along or is it yust me?...

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciderman View Post
    gotta wonder about the real reasoning behind this ?? - a genuine concern about the intellectual copyright of artists or a greater concern about the money that is being lost to american companies - mmm i wonder ??
    I find it funny that people get upset over not being a steal with no penalty.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Who's stealing? What's being stolen?
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Who's stealing? What's being stolen?
    I know I am, along with the 15k or so others at Waffles. What I find funny is the juxtaposition of creativity, innovation and profit, as if all invention will shrivel up and die when the incentive of cash declines.

Also, I love how their prosecutorial spectrum is housewife on Kazaa / Oink founder. Thats like saying I only hunt mackerel and blue whale.
    Last edited by orfik; 12-06-2007 at 11:08 PM.

"Be easy, my ninja."

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    bornwithnoname's Avatar Bit Master BT Rep: +1
    I think people who steal should be punished, but 222,000 for 24 songs is absurd.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Aaxel21's Avatar AHHHHH!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornwithnoname View Post
    I think people who steal should be punished, but 222,000 for 24 songs is absurd.
    I agree. I don't see how it is possible to give a fine out that is equal to or greater than a Class A felony which is murder. For something that has a value of no more than $24 I don't see how that compares. What this should of been was Sixth Degree Larceny which is a Class C misdemeanor which by law should be a fine not to exceed $500. But who am I kidding laws don't apply to music...somehow.
    Remember bullets always have the right of way.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Get ready for torrent encryption!

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    They're suing her for copyright infringement, not just theft. And it only came to that sum because she was stupid enough to fight them in court, so they were awarded full damage compensation. Still, if they really wanted to make an example they'd...uh...give everyone free CDs and cake.

"Be easy, my ninja."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast