View Poll Results: BT - What do you think ? Will BT die ?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • In 5 years

94 30.62%
  • In 10 years

68 22.15%
  • In 20 years

13 4.23%
  • Huh ? BT... ? ( me NOOB )

12 3.91%
  • What ? Get lost - NEVER !!!

120 39.09%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Will BT die ?

Vercors's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I wouldn't say 2 years, but probably no more than 5

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Nah... Never

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    ChampJulius's Avatar Poster
    Unlikely in the near future

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    styles's Avatar Over you BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    At least filesharing never die

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    You guys are pretty optimistic. BT will be obsolete within two years; the writing is already on the wall.
    *looks around* ... what wall?

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    The wall holding up those reports of BT traffic shaping from at least two major ISPs and counting, the subpoenas demanding comprehensive user information from those major ISPs, a laundry list of companies booting the owners of torrent sites off of their servers, a catalog of the -rapidly- obsolete encryption methods growing more desperate with every iteration of Azureus, utorrent, et al. The one sagging under the weight of Alan Ellis' crucified body. That wall, buddy.
    Last edited by orfik; 12-10-2007 at 04:05 AM.

"Be easy, my ninja."

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    The wall holding up those reports of BT traffic shaping from at least two major ISPs and counting, the subpoenas demanding comprehensive user information, the -rapidly- obsolete encryption methods growing more desperate with every iteration of Azureus, utorrent, et al. The one sagging under the weight of Alan Ellis' crucified body. That wall, buddy.
    i don't know if i see things going so badly. consider how much time it took for the oink operation to go through. and the fact that the private tracker community has not, to date, been all that careful about ensuring its privacy. even looking at this forum, invites are given away and traded freely. some trackers are careless enough to leave admin info readily accessible through WHOIS. i don't think private trackers have taken nearly all the the measures they can to prevent intel-gathering by industry officials. if things got bad, and private trackers were truly threatened, i think they would close up and become much less accessible and take greater measures to protect themselves. it would then become even harder than it is to take down such a tracker.

historically, protocols that have been eliminated all functioned on a central-server basis. usenet, which AFAIK is decentralized, similarly to BT, has been around since the 80s.

the only way i can see it being eliminated is at an ISP level, but even then there are ways to mask torrent traffic or remove it from your home connection but continue to download (Relakks + seedbox in a BT-friendly country, for example). i think it will take a LONG time for BT to be killed.

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    That's exactly why I say that torrent trackers aren't a crime ring. Crime rings are a lot more fucking careful. And when I say it'll die, I'm not talking about get wiped off the map; I mean it will be so difficult and dangerous to use that no one will use it, which is where it's going. Anti-piracy organizations would love for private trackers to become so paranoid and exclusive that they're basically small groups of friends trading things back and forth -- that's a perfectly acceptable outcome.

Like I said, the encryption methods are losing fast. Google it. And the BT friendly countries are drying up. The Oink operation will provide a model for the dismantling of private trackers. It took a long time because it was a new procedure, but law enforcement learns pretty fast, especially where money is involved.

And we should all pray Ellis isn't convicted. If he is, your favorite trackers will disappear overnight.

"Be easy, my ninja."

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Quote Originally Posted by styles View Post
    At least filesharing never die
    soon or later everyone die.

hehe

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

10. BitTorrent   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik
    That's exactly why I say that torrent trackers aren't a crime ring. Crime rings are a lot more fucking careful. And when I say it'll die, I'm not talking about get wiped off the map; I mean it will be so difficult and dangerous to use that no one will use it, which is where it's going. Anti-piracy organizations would love for private trackers to become so paranoid and exclusive that they're basically small groups of friends trading things back and forth -- that's a perfectly acceptable outcome.
    i suppose it wouldn't be so bad, if public ceased to exist. many of us would not be affected. problem is at that point i think anti-piracy efforts would shift focus to private trackers. for the moment i think oink was just a demonstration. the primary concern for them i believe is still the much higher volume of public tracker users. i wonder how a fight between anti-piracy and post public crackdown highly private trackers would play out

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast