Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: University Purposefully Blocking Torrent Download?

Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Here's a strange one. It seems that at least in my particular section of the network I am unable to download torrent files directly. I of course have tested it on a variety of platforms and all of them seem to have the same problem, so it isn't just me. Any torrents I am currently running seed (and oh how those babies do) but the downloads stall out when I try and download the actual torrent files. We're talking public tracker to private tracker, it doesn't matter.

Actually, the only thing that bypasses this is if the files are downloaded from an https domain (as certain sites have). My question is: Does anyone think they know of a way to bypass this block?
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    try right clicking and saving it as a target as, if not, not really sure how to bypass that. Someone will evenually know though. Good luck.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Oh, tried that. At that point the torrent actually gets to the download manager, but the speed steadily decreases to zero and just sits there.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by fsephie View Post
    Here's a strange one. It seems that at least in my particular section of the network I am unable to download torrent files directly. I of course have tested it on a variety of platforms and all of them seem to have the same problem, so it isn't just me. Any torrents I am currently running seed (and oh how those babies do) but the downloads stall out when I try and download the actual torrent files. We're talking public tracker to private tracker, it doesn't matter.

Actually, the only thing that bypasses this is if the files are downloaded from an https domain (as certain sites have). My question is: Does anyone think they know of a way to bypass this block?
    Does your university gives you a limit of bandwidth? coz i know ours does. If you cross the limit they put restriction in access or even worse cut the net access =/ idk how that helps though lol

Anyways, if nothing works, try asking the university net access distributer.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    To clarify, this only pertains to downloading torrent files from trackers that do not use ssl. I haven't tried having someone upload a torrent file to a non-tracker and see if it will still let me download, though.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    They could be packet shaping. My uni does. Try Azureus; it offers pretty robust encryption. Doesn't work here, but it might work for you.

"Be easy, my ninja."

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    have you tried downloading the .torrent file with

http://txtor.dwerg.net/

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    While that definitely does work for me on public sites, it does not work with private trackers. Also, it seems interesting that they just now implemented this (literally two days ago).

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    my uni does something like this...it basically corrupts torrent file headers so that I can download the .torrent file but when I open it up, the torrent client says the torrent file is corrupt...to get around this, use proxies like tor to download the torrent file. Now while most private sites don't allow you to login with proxies, it will let you download with one...So...log in normally, go to the torrent you want to download, open new tab, enable proxy, go back to tab with your torrent and download and you should be fine. And as mentioned before, enable encryption while downloading

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Try right clicking, save as, and change the filename to moviewarez.txt from moviewarez.torrent. Then, go to where you saved it and change the extension back to .torrent, and open with your torrent client(note that you might have to go to tools->folder options->view and then uncheck the "hide extensions for known filetypes" to rename the .txt to .torrent).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast