Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mkv

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25

Question Mark

Why is there files .mkv instead of avi?

what programs could open these files? I trid with VLC player and media player classic, it didn't work.

I even tried to convert it with "all to avi v4" but my computer lacked and it didn't work, so is there any solution

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    media player classic and vlc should both be able to open a .mkv, except you probably haven't configured it to do so.

Open Media Player Classic and click View --> Options. Select Internal Filters on the left as shown above and disable Matroska under source filters. Install a Matroska Pack now.

The reason for diabling the internal Matroska filter is because there is a problem (isn't there always?), the parser is out-dated in the latest version of MPC. For this reason, you are better off disabling the internal matroska parser in Media Player Classic and relying on up to date external software (install Matroska Pack).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanx for your help, I did it, now i am donwloading a .mvk file to see because I deleted all the ones I ahd before

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    MKV files are sort of the rar file of the geeky anime idiots. they often fill them with stupid audio and video formats that are a real pain to deal with. MKV is a container and there are a few programes that will allow you to see whats inside.

MKV Merge GUI is whats used to create MKV files but it has a very useful function. Since MKV files often have several audio (english/Japanese) files and or subtitles in them MKV Merge GUI will allow you to see which are the english ones without having to extract and play them to find out.

MKV Extract GUI allows you to pick the files you want to remove from the container but they come out separate (one video avi and one english audio) the problem here is muxing. When a program like Virtual Dub Mod opens an MKV file it alignes the audio and video together but if you extract them as separate files this doesn't happen. Not to mention the idiots who create these files often put audio in ogg or aac format and make even more trouble for you. Even Virtual Dub Mod can't handle ogg or aac, you have to demux the audio and convert with dbPowerAmp Music Converter or similar.

Unless there is no other source for the files you want, avoid MKV like the plague. Like I said, the guys who use and create these files are real A holes and will make your life miserable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    MKV files are sort of the rar file of the geeky anime idiots. they often fill them with stupid audio and video formats that are a real pain to deal with. MKV is a container and there are a few programes that will allow you to see whats inside.

MKV Merge GUI is whats used to create MKV files but it has a very useful function. Since MKV files often have several audio (english/Japanese) files and or subtitles in them MKV Merge GUI will allow you to see which are the english ones without having to extract and play them to find out.

MKV Extract GUI allows you to pick the files you want to remove from the container but they come out separate (one video avi and one english audio) the problem here is muxing. When a program like Virtual Dub Mod opens an MKV file it alignes the audio and video together but if you extract them as separate files this doesn't happen. Not to mention the idiots who create these files often put audio in ogg or aac format and make even more trouble for you. Even Virtual Dub Mod can't handle ogg or aac, you have to demux the audio and convert with dbPowerAmp Music Converter or similar.

Unless there is no other source for the files you want, avoid MKV like the plague. Like I said, the guys who use and create these files are real A holes and will make your life miserable.
    Well said. I remember the first time I came across one of these (about a year ago) and didn't know what to make of it. Researched on google for a bit and found all I needed.

Another problem with these is that sometimes they aren't even in perfect sync. I've played a few where you can tell the audio is off by about .5 seconds. Just enough to piss you off and make you search for avi.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

then if that what it is then notdownloading them is much better than getting a headache

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'm the kind of person who really gets into a challenge. The more annoying they make the file the more determined I get to beat them at their own game. The Click of anime fans who use and abuse the MKV format are really morons that think its cool to use formats and files that no one else will be able to use. They think they are creating exclusivity for themselves and they are if no one downloads MKV files because of their shenanagens.

I will not let that happen and thats why I fight with these files so I can help others to get around them as well. Besides, they are often the only way to find complete anime episodes with the english language dub included. So if you speak english and hate reading subbed movies like me, MKV is often your best bet.

In a perfect scenario, the MKV file will contain mp3 or ac3 audio and once you determine which audio is in english you just load the mkv into Virtual Dub Mod, set the Video tab to Direct Stream (no encoding) and in the Streams section set Direct Stream as well (although this is default and doesn't need setting) disable all the audio and subs except the english audio and save the file as a one audio avi.

If the audio is in ogg, you have to demux it from V Dubs Streams section then convert it to mp3 with dbPowerAmp Music Converter, re add the mp3 to the streams section and disable all the rest. Then save the file and hopefully the audio will be synced with the video.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    CityHunterAGK

Urgent

I'm the kind of person who really gets into a challenge. The more annoying they make the file the more determined I get to beat them at their own game. The Click of anime fans who use and abuse the MKV format are really morons that think its cool to use formats and files that no one else will be able to use. They think they are creating exclusivity for themselves and they are if no one downloads MKV files because of their shenanagens.

I will not let that happen and thats why I fight with these files so I can help others to get around them as well. Besides, they are often the only way to find complete anime episodes with the english language dub included. So if you speak english and hate reading subbed movies like me, MKV is often your best bet.

In a perfect scenario, the MKV file will contain mp3 or ac3 audio and once you determine which audio is in english you just load the mkv into Virtual Dub Mod, set the Video tab to Direct Stream (no encoding) and in the Streams section set Direct Stream as well (although this is default and doesn't need setting) disable all the audio and subs except the english audio and save the file as a one audio avi.

If the audio is in ogg, you have to demux it from V Dubs Streams section then convert it to mp3 with dbPowerAmp Music Converter, re add the mp3 to the streams section and disable all the rest. Then save the file and hopefully the audio will be synced with the video.
    hello, first of all i want ot thnk you if you accept and take tiem to read this and help me ..and sorry for my english..not my languaje..
    the thing is..that i have mkv video file, i can watch it nice on my zoomplayer and others..i have de codecs ect...
    but..i want to esctract it..i do that before...but this particular file have some problem..becasue i get a screen that ask me to put someting ..because say that the program dont reconize de format or sort kind of sh...
    i use to use mkvtoolnix to do it...with windows gui...wen askme to put the extension becasue dint reconise it..i do it guessing..it wont work..so..i get a new release..the last one..but..it only came with merge GUI de estract is on the install! so..i search for a GUi for that,im still looking..but in the meanwile..y paste de old gui..and this time made the file..but same thing ask me for the extension at first..once i set it..estractiion start..but the file dont open in any player..
    others mkv videos works fine..
    this is how the extractor reconize the file
    V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC...says that the fromat type is unknow by the extract gui..so you must tip association file..
    i eevn install the codecs for those type of files
    may be is the Gui...im still looking 4 a new one..but comand line dont work..seems only for linux...so may be you can help me..if i dont have a gui..may be away to try a command line and how to do it..and the thing is that in the help files..
    V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC,is supported!
    so..in a brief..i need to extract a video from a mvk container
    that shows me inside a
    V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC video file
    i have Windows XP pro sp2.
    Thanks for your time and help..i hope you can help me.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Your right your english is not so good but not too bad either. Without actually having the file myself it would be impossible for me to tell you what to do. If you want to point me in the right direction I will download it (or one of the series) and see what I can do with it.

Aside from that you might try AlltoAvi, its an opensource converter that was built with hard to convert MKV in mind.

The first problem you face is determining whether the audio or video is giving you problems (or sometimes both). The freeware app MKV Merge Gui can help you determine what format the audio and video is in. If you see an Xvid video then you can assume its the audio thats the problem. If you see H264 or X264 Video then thats a problem in itself. The same goes for the audio, if you see mp3 or ac3 then the audio is ok, if you see aac or ogg you might have to extract and convert separately then mux the audio and video back together. For muxing I use Virtual Dub Mod cause it has an Interleaving function that allows you to repair audio and video sync without reencoding anything.

I haven't had too much success with AlltoAvi and H264 video. What I usually end up doing is to run it as "no audio" so I get a Video only from it, then I extract the audio with V Dub or MKV Extract GUI from the original and convert it with dbPowerAmp Music Converter (I have alot of extra codecs installed for db you can find then on their site) to ac3 and remux with Virtual Dub Mod.

MPEG4 is a hand held video player format and AVC is a type of codec but its not free, you have to buy it. Xvid and Divx are also MPEG4 codecs if I'm not mistaken but there are a few odd codecs running around so you can bet you ran into one. Extract it alone (video no sound) convert to divx. Extract the audio alone (no video) and convert to mp3. Then rejoin them with V Dub Mod in Direct Stream Mode. You can watch the movie when the audio and video are separate like this and view the sync, and make changes under the Stream section to the Interleaving until your in sync (1000- 1sec one way and -1000 1sec the other).
    Last edited by Appzalien; 12-09-2007 at 02:18 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    for quality mkv is the way to go and accept no substitute.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast