Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How old are you and why do you illegaly download?

im 10 yrs old and i LEGALLY download torrents.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by cubkiller89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    downloading illegally and stealing from a retail store are NOT the same thing. A retail store has purchased their CDs from the manufacturer with the expectation of reselling them for a proffit. When someone steels a CD from them, they lose the money that they invested in purchasing that CD.

Downloading is a different story. One copy was purchased initially (usually) and was then distributed an indefinite number of times. This distribution, while illegal, only hurts the manufacturer if download was a substitute for purchasing a legitimate copy. There is no tangible loss by anyone. I'll admit that I have downloaded albums which I would have purchased if I was unable to download it, but this is pretty rare. While I am still stealing music, it is not nearly as bad as lifting from a store.
    That's the most flawed argument the label's are still losing money. If you want to go on tangible loss we can assume that there are 1/20 albums that you download you would have bought. Just because the loss isn't direct doesn't mean there still isn't a loss. If you want to think about it that way as well than think about if there wasn't any downloading to speak off how many more albums would be purchased.

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.
    http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/1...-birth-of.html

That might help for your paper regarding why people download music.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    [
    That's the most flawed argument the label's are still losing money. If you want to go on tangible loss we can assume that there are 1/20 albums that you download you would have bought. Just because the loss isn't direct doesn't mean there still isn't a loss. If you want to think about it that way as well than think about if there wasn't any downloading to speak off how many more albums would be purchased.

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.[/quote]I agree that more albums would be purchased, but not nearly as many as are downloaded illegally. In that regard, it is the same as shoplifting but on an much smaller scale.

And for the sake of discussion, do you think that the music industry would care one bit if this pandemic of music theft WAS shoplifting? I think that they'd prefer it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    - distributing non legit copies for profit is illegal....sharing without profit isn't.
    ding ding ding!!!!

if you can't agree with morality then side with the law and what squirrel said is true.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I think the Recording Industry misses the whole point sometimes , I still buy as gifts , movies or music cd's for family . If just sharing a copy of Heroes , I go nuts .

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    KravenX's Avatar CZ Adm|n & sFZ Help
    think of it this way: if someone offers you a candy for free and another one offers you the same candy but in a beautiful box and asking for money... what would you pick?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by KravenX View Post
    think of it this way: if someone offers you a candy for free and another one offers you the same candy but in a beautiful box and asking for money... what would you pick?
    does the box have lace and tassels?

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Who says it's illegal? You better research your laws a little better...

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Cmon's Avatar on users.php
    How old are you and why do you illegally download?
    And why did you start file sharing.

Did you start because of high cost of albums?
    More convenient to be able to sit at home and download?

Edit:

Another question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?
    I feel old enough
    Why..? um.. because I like to share perhaps

I started because I can't find some stuff, even if I want to buy it, & maybe to use internet as effective as possible, lately maybe because it's cheaper/easier/free

Steal.. I don't know, I don't think so, I'm not really bother about "easy go get away with", it's more like sharing than stealing imo
    Know too much = bad
    My Ratio, Stats & Speed

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.
    Here's your answer for school...

Copyrights are outdated. They do not take into consideration modern technology. The RIAA and MPAA flipped out over VCRs when they came out in the late 70s also and then they figured out a way to make money with the new technology...by selling movies on video cassette. So here we are again, 25 years later and the industry is fretting again...this time they are largely ignoring using the technology and are trying to slay a many-headed hydra that will never die. It is not the music or movie industry's position to define what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to consumers sharing their wares.

Studies have shown that downloading music does hurt the record sales of some of the more popular artists(who I have a hard time feeling sorry for when they appear on MTV with their Lamborghinis), but that it actually helps the more obscure artists because it gets their music out there. I know this is true with software, etc. also. I work in the IT industry and people regularly ask me to recommend software to them. These are people who have nothing to do with BT and wouldn't grasp it if I began to explain how to use it. So I recommend them the software that I became familiar with and they buy it. I've sold many copies of burning software, etc. because I was able to test it out on BT.

Copyright laws as they stand today will not be able to stand up to the onslaught of BT. Copyrights are rendered useless. Now, if only these industries could figure out a way to embrace the technology...pay a flat fee for all the files you want or something like that. I know a lot of people here pay monthly fees for seedboxes. I don't think they'd mind spending a similar fee for free access to the wares they want.

File sharing is not stealing - it's an exploitation of an outdated concept.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast