Thread: Uploading Bandwith

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Does it slow-down my downloads if I raise up my uploading bandwith,in kazaalite ?
    (I've got a dsl connexion with 512 downloading, and 256 uploading.)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    In any case, if you really have only 256 upload then there's no reason to set Kazaa Lite++ higher than 256 kilobits (32 KB/sec) upload speed.

And 128 kilobits (16 KB/sec) should be fine for everything but playing online games at the same time.

'unlimited' speed just makes unlimited resends, packet loss, and even corruption.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I understand what you mean but you don't really answer my question.

What I want to know is for example, if I am downloading a movie at full speed, wich means for me 64kb/s. And if then I change my uploading bandwith from for example 128 to 256 kilobytes, will it slows the downloading processus of my movie?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by leonidas@24 July 2003 - 15:34
    I understand what you mean but you don't really answer my question.

What I want to know is for example, if I am downloading a movie at full speed, wich means for me 64kb/s. And if then I change my uploading bandwith from for example 128 to 256 kilobytes, will it slows the downloading processus of my movie?
    Yes, because you won't have any upload bandwidth to spare for download parts requests (SYN ACKs).

However, 128 kbps leaves OVERKILL upload bandwidth for downloading at max speed UNLESS your A/DSL heavily shares up and down on its line. Some use the same frequency ranges for overlapping up and down stream portions -- so they can't go max on either without the other suffering considerably.

On my cablemodem, I have 256 kilobits/sec upstream -- I can upload as fast as 200 kilobits/sec (25 KB/sec) while downloading >150 KB/sec -- roughly my download's max speed in any case.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    thanks.