Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customizing Your Desktop

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by liquidacid+24 July 2003 - 22:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (liquidacid @ 24 July 2003 - 22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@ 24 July 2003 - 23:13
    The only real difference between using StyleXP and the UthemeXP patcher that I have noticed is that the patch triggers XP&#39;s file protection system. It will frequently (about 1 in every 5 logons) ask you to verify the file and/or replace it with the original prompting you for your windowsXP disk. You can bypass this, however, the pop-ups can become annoying fast. StyleXP just makes changing/installing themes somewhat more convienent.

Quite frankly, of all the XP theme authors, Lightstar, is by far, best IMO. I prefer to use his works for my system themes.
    I have used the uxtheme patch for months now and not once have i had to do what you describe. There really is no need for StyleXP, why have an unneccesary app running away in the background.

Get this, and then go here.

On the subject of favourite themes, b0se classic is my absolute favourite. Having used it now for a while, there&#39;s no way i could go back to the old chunky themes. [/b][/quote]
    Are you using the UX theme patch from TGT soft or the auto patcher version from sites such as Belchfire.net?

The UX theme freeware patch from TGT is somewhat more stable, but more difficult to effectively install for the average windows lay-person.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by liquidacid+24 July 2003 - 16:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (liquidacid &#064; 24 July 2003 - 16:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@ 24 July 2003 - 23:13
    The only real difference between using StyleXP and the UthemeXP patcher that I have noticed is that the patch triggers XP&#39;s file protection system. It will frequently (about 1 in every 5 logons) ask you to verify the file and/or replace it with the original prompting you for your windowsXP disk. You can bypass this, however, the pop-ups can become annoying fast. StyleXP just makes changing/installing themes somewhat more convienent.

Quite frankly, of all the XP theme authors, Lightstar, is by far, best IMO. I prefer to use his works for my system themes.
    I have used the uxtheme patch for months now and not once have i had to do what you describe. There really is no need for StyleXP, why have an unneccesary app running away in the background.

Get this, and then go here.

On the subject of favourite themes, b0se classic is my absolute favourite. Having used it now for a while, there&#39;s no way i could go back to the old chunky themes.[/b][/quote]
    styles xp only uses about 520k of memory when it runs in the background, which basically has no impact at all on system performance.. The only time it uses the most memory is when your installing themes or visual styles from the stylesxp control panel. You can also disable stylesxp as a service and still use the theme.

I think stylesxp is better and the people that are behind that ux patch or whatever it is they call it know that and are jealous that stylesxp is such a good app.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Why get an app to patch a file that you can patch yourself?
    the uxtheme.dll patch works just fine, and if you want to change your login screen
    just download one you like, make a backup copy of the logonui.exe in WINDOWS&#092;System32,
    delete the logonui.exe from WINDOWS&#092;System32&#092;dllcache and
    WINDOWS&#092;Service Pack Files&#092;i386 (if it&#39;s there), then place your new logonui.exe in WINDOWS&#092;System32.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    and in case you&#39;d like to know, here&#39;s how to disable Windows File Protection:

Click&#33;

the key they mean is this one:
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows NT&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Winlogon
    Name: SFCDisable
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: FFFFFF9D

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    I got the patch but the 2 bloody sites TGT and Style XP both wont show up&#33; Any one else having this prob?

Dave

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by Sparsely@26 July 2003 - 03:04
    and in case you&#39;d like to know, here&#39;s how to disable Windows File Protection:

Click&#33;

the key they mean is this one:
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows NT&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Winlogon
    Name: SFCDisable
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: FFFFFF9D
    Is it better to completle disable windows file protection or to set to enabled but with no popups??I also have lightstars patch and I get some popups which can be annoying..But the patch is much better than installing a new program.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@25 July 2003 - 22:13
    I got the patch but the 2 bloody sites TGT and Style XP both wont show up&#33; Any one else having this prob?

Dave
    They have frequent outages with their site just like this forum does from time to time because of too many concurrent connections. All you can really do is keep hitting refresh and the site should come up eventually.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    getskinned.org has good stuff too.
    and not all the annoying SQL errors

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    This still going on? Good.

Since I last posted here, I&#39;ve been trying out another Stardock program - I don&#39;t like WindowBlinds, but this is one I&#39;ve grown fond of

Stardock has a program as free betaware called &#39;ObjectDock&#39;. What it does is create a docking bar for you to place whatever shortcuts you want. Trust me - When you have a LOT of files on your desktop (try about two spaces free on a 1024x768 desktop) This is a godsend for clearing it up (I have only My Computer & Recycle Bin up now

URL&#39;s at ObjectDock.com, but I&#39;d seriously recommend that you check out WinCustomize.com as well. Simple reason is that not only does it have the best icons I&#39;ve seen so far (I&#39;d recommend any icons by Jairo Boudewyn), but it also has a handy mod called KkMenu where you can create your own menus in ObjectDock (sorting them out even more)

IMO WindowsBlinds sucks - But ObjectDock has given me back some faith in Stardock

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Illuminati@26 July 2003 - 01:21
    This still going on? Good.

Since I last posted here, I&#39;ve been trying out another Stardock program - I don&#39;t like WindowBlinds, but this is one I&#39;ve grown fond of

Stardock has a program as free betaware called &#39;ObjectDock&#39;. What it does is create a docking bar for you to place whatever shortcuts you want. Trust me - When you have a LOT of files on your desktop (try about two spaces free on a 1024x768 desktop) This is a godsend for clearing it up (I have only My Computer & Recycle Bin up now

URL&#39;s at ObjectDock.com, but I&#39;d seriously recommend that you check out WinCustomize.com as well. Simple reason is that not only does it have the best icons I&#39;ve seen so far (I&#39;d recommend any icons by Jairo Boudewyn), but it also has a handy mod called KkMenu where you can create your own menus in ObjectDock (sorting them out even more)

IMO WindowsBlinds sucks - But ObjectDock has given me back some faith in Stardock
    Thats old news. I downloaded it a while back and have never used it. I dont feel like creating a whole nother task bar because thats basically what you have to do. Th default icons they have on there have to be reconfigured and changed to suit your taste, Ill stick with my xp taskbar. B)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast