Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a DVD player.

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hello, I'm looking for a stand-alone DVD player that will play NTSC, PAL and Xvid/Divx.

If possible, wmv would be nice. And if available (not expecting it), h264.

My price range is below $100 USD. Preferably below $80 USD.

Well, any suggestions??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    http://search.reviews.ebay.com/Phili...874277QQupvrZ2

This is a good one in your price range.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    get one that upscales too it will be worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100

Philips
    DVP5140/37 - $54.99

If you have an HDTV (or planning to get one), then I'd suggest that you get...

Philips
    DVP5982/37 (1080p upconversion + HDMI) - $69.99

Last edited by fstrulz; 12-13-2007 at 07:39 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Philips DVP5140/37 - $54.99 ( as stated above)

I have this one and its cheap and very good for xvids. One of my best buys.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    bought the philips and should arrive at my house tomorrow. It's for my mother. I know she's not going HD anytime soon so upscaling won't be neccessary. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know how it turns out,

BTW, for the xvid functionality can I just durn the xvids to a dvd/cd as a data file and stick it in?? What type of containers does it split??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just stick any divx/xvid files onto a data disk. You can use CD but I've found problems in the past because of the low transfer rate, so probably best to stick to DVD.

Or use a USB memory stick or external HDD, formatted as FAT32.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Just stick any divx/xvid files onto a data disk. You can use CD but I've found problems in the past because of the low transfer rate, so probably best to stick to DVD.

thanks for the info.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

He can't use USB cuz he's getting the inferior player.

@mbucari

The DVP5982/37 was a much better deal since it had USB and virtually eliminated the need for burning anything.

I have the one before it that upconverts to 1080i and the greatest feature is being able to pop in a USB key with a movie or TV show and watch.

For the extra $15 you get the USB and HDTV upconvert ability.

Your mother will have to burn everything she wants to watch outside of normal DVDs vs. sticking in a key.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

He can't use USB cuz he's getting the inferior player.

@mbucari

The DVP5982/37 was a much better deal since it had USB and virtually eliminated the need for burning anything.

I have the one before it that upconverts to 1080i and the greatest feature is being able to pop in a USB key with a movie or TV show and watch.

For the extra $15 you get the USB and HDTV upconvert ability.

Your mother will have to burn everything she wants to watch outside of normal DVDs vs. sticking in a key.
    The information was interesting, but I wasn't planning on using it. I have managed (somehow) to pound into her brain the procedure for burning a DVD/CD. It' would take forever to get her to learn how to transfer with a flash drive / HDD. You'd think it would be simple, but my mother is dense when it comes to computers. And as if that wasn't enough (which it is), she doesn't have a flash drive. I don't feel like spending $15 extra on the player and $30 on a 2GB flash drive which can only play 1 movie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast