Thread: Connection Aggregation

i saw a topic earlier about linking two or more modems together to (theoretically) double bandwidth.
    a link was given to a program called nat32. nat32 can apparently 'aggregate' two or more connections to give a total bandwidth in excess of 56k/sec

i now have 2 x 56k modems and was wondering if anyone has ever aggregated two or more 56k modems.
    it looks awfully hard from what i've seen and i can't find any guides or easy precedents.

if anyone could provide information or links to any guides, it's be very much appreciated.

i am running windows xp home in case that's useful

p.s. i'm from uk and have phoned bt tech support. they have said that although i'm using an analogue 56k phone line, the dax (or dacks?) server can handle more than this.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    This is easy, you don&#39;t need any additional software.
    These instructions are for win2k, they won&#39;t be much different for XP.

Once you have configured your second modem, go to control panel and select &#39;network and Dial-Up Connections&#39;.

Select your dial up connection and right click and select properties.
    Tick the new modem as well as the old one, and tick the box which says &#39;All devices call the same number&#39;.

Then press OK.

Hope that wasn&#39;t too hard.

Btw, you do have 2 phone lines don&#39;t you. You can&#39;t run them down the same line.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2003 - 12:44
    This is easy, you don&#39;t need any additional software.
    These instructions are for win2k, they won&#39;t be much different for XP.

Once you have configured your second modem, go to control panel and select &#39;network and Dial-Up Connections&#39;.

Select your dial up connection and right click and select properties.
    Tick the new modem as well as the old one, and tick the box which says &#39;All devices call the same number&#39;.

Then press OK.

Hope that wasn&#39;t too hard.

Btw, you do have 2 phone lines don&#39;t you. You can&#39;t run them down the same line.
    hmmm... i sense someone patronising me...

i&#39;m not talking about ics.
    i only have one phone line, nat32 apparently lets you use one phone line to increase bandwidth

anyone else got any advice?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Sorry, i don&#39;t think nat32 allows that. I think that what ur hoping for is impossible (the modem hardware won&#39;t allow it and possibly the phone connection won&#39;t allow it either). I think the main advantage of nat is allowing multiple network connections so I was gonna use it to connect to the internet through a network proxy and through a dsl modem. I brought up nat32 earlier because i&#39;d forgotten that xp supports multiple dun connections Theres a tiny bit of info here

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    No, I wasn&#39;t being patronising, nor was I talking about ics.

Nat32 lets you route multiple computers down one (or more) phone line(s), it is a little like a proxy server in that respect. Indeed, ics does exactly the same thing, I suspect nat32 was developed before ics was properly available and it may do it better.
    It doesn&#39;t, and can&#39;t, increase throughput on a single line, and I would dispute it&#39;s claim that it is the only software that allows aggregation of multiple lines since all versions of windows since W98SE have been able to do that (admittedly with varying degrees of success).

How is it going to increase a physical single line limitation, I am sure telephony experts all over the world would be interested to find out.

Edit: added (or more).
    Edit: you beat me to it, ilw.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2003 - 13:43
    How is it going to increase a physical single line limitation, I am sure telephony experts all over the world would be interested to find out.
    that was what i thought until i phoned up bt and their tech support said that it was possible to get more than 56kb/sec with two modems on one line.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    You didn&#39;t make it clear in your post that you thought you could connect two modems down the same line, and you probably didn&#39;t make that clear to BT tech support.

But screw you, my 25+ years experience obviously count for nothing, go ahead and plug them both in, then report back with your results.

Edit: stupid people piss me off too.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2003 - 14:39
    You didn&#39;t make it clear in your post that you thought you could connect two modems down the same line, and you probably didn&#39;t make that clear to BT tech support.

But screw you, my 25+ years experience obviously count for nothing, go ahead and plug them both in, then report back with your results.

Edit: stupid people piss me off too.
    i&#39;m not trying to saying you&#39;re wrong.

far from it in fact. you obviously have experience and knowledge in this area.
    it is possible the bt tech support people did not understand me, or do not have sufficient knowledge

if only you had as much patience as knowledge...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Hey, I tell you what you can and can&#39;t do, you say I&#39;m taking the piss.

Two people tell you you can&#39;t do what you are suggesting, you say I&#39;m wrong.

Just how much patience do you expect people to have ?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2003 - 14:52
    Hey, I tell you what you can and can&#39;t do, you say I&#39;m taking the piss.

Two people tell you you can&#39;t do what you are suggesting, you say I&#39;m wrong.

Just how much patience do you expect people to have ?
    when did i say you were taking the piss??

i only said that bt tech support said that getting more than 56k/sec on one analogue phone line was possible