Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flac vs mp3

Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    The FLAC vs MP3 conversation is an ignorant one. Even if you don't believe that FLAC sounds better (which it does, and I'd bet a large sum of money the people who think it doesn't don't have the components to make that claim), it's an archival codec before anything else. You use it to keep perfect copies of CDs so that you don't need to disturb your physical media. From FLAC you can transcode to any of the lossy codecs and maintain the maximum amount of quality. You cannot transcode from lossy to lossy without a significant degradation in the file. Should some advanced lossy codec emerge in the future, you can still use those FLAC archives to convert to that, instead of being stuck with a lossy library technically inferior to the new codec. Take iterations of LAME: archive all your files in one generation of the codec and you're stuck with it.
    That's true.Consider a flac file eg. 100mb, a lossy ripping is half or less of it, because of compression.
    I do not support any lossy format (V0 sometimes is a good solution though)

2. Music   -   #32
    Express's Avatar Express BT Rep: +2

Question Mark

which one do u think is best to download?? flac or mp3...

3. Music   -   #33
    Excuse my ignorance (as a user for 25 years) but what is V0 ?

Regards

Digby
    What color is your Adkaf ?

4. Music   -   #34
    lostdemon's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I prefer V0 mp3 over flac.
    Space saving on my harddrive and to me sounds perfectly fine.

@digmen
    V0 is a way you can rip your original cd to mp3. And the best way

You can use Exact Audio Copy EAC to accpmlish this.

5. Music   -   #35
    Encoders are always improving, so it's better to archive lossless so that you can simply update your portable music by converting the lossless archives instead of redownloading your entire collection of music in that new-and-improved lossy encoding format.

I don't want to be stuck with an archive full of outdated MP3s 5 or 10 years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    Like I said, the greatest benefit of FLAC is that it's essentially future proof. I hope you all still love your precious mp3s when we're walking around with BIONIC EARS.
    People still won't listen.
    Last edited by Acumen; 07-02-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    Humanity has in the course of time had to endure from the hands of science three great outrages upon its naive self-love: the discovery that our world is merely a speck in a vast universe, that we merely descended from lesser animals, and that our conscious minds sometimes lie to their very selves about our actions.

6. Music   -   #36
    ahcorac72's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I prefer mp3.

7. Music   -   #37

8. Music   -   #38
    eram's Avatar graff saves lifes BT Rep: +5
    its just a matter of hdd space , in some years flac will be the only format around imo

9. Music   -   #39
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdemon View Post
    @digmen
    V0 is a way you can rip your original cd to mp3. And the best way

You can use Exact Audio Copy EAC to accpmlish this.
    It is NOT the best. V0 is a lossy format. Any lossless format is abviously going to be better.

digi - for more info, see this.

yo

10. Music   -   #40
    mp3 the best

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast