Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Urine test for welfare?

Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by tusks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post
    What's the UCOWF? Can you provide me with a link to that please?
    http://www.ucowf.org/ - United Council on Welfare Fraud

Link to Skizo's article:
    http://waysandmeans.house.gov/hearin...riendly&id=680

Scroll down a bit to find it.
    Okay, thanks, what I wanted was a date. That was in 2003. It's probably a state by state thing but I used government childcare in 2005 and it didn't seem so easy to commit fraud.

• Unless you were scared for your life, you had to go after your ex for child support or they would cut off food stamps, child care, etc. They even had a child support office right there in DFCS. I had to submit a certified letter from my lawyer proving that he was taking care of that.
    • I had to give them a copy of my class schedule so they knew when I had class and I couldn't take my child to daycare on other days.
    • I had to give an itemized report of all money coming into and leaving my household. Then, for proof, had to give them my last three months of bank statements so they could check my list against them.
    Maybe I'm just not as good at cheating the system as other people, but it just seemed to me to be very hard to lie your way through it with as much as they check on you and as much proof that they need.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I used government childcare in 2005 and it didn't seem so easy to commit fraud.
    Would you have submitted to urine testing and mandatory birth control?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I used government childcare in 2005 and it didn't seem so easy to commit fraud.
    I was already on birth control and had nothing to fear from urine testing, I suppose I would have if it had been required but I find it an extreme invasion of privacy and rights and do not agree with it. Which is exactly why it will never get passed.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Forgive me if I pry...

Busy seems to be under the impression that welfare recipients get wads of cash which they then turn around and squander on drugs.
    My understanding is that most benefits are in the form of credits- i.e., foodstamps, child care, etc.- not easily spent/traded for goods (illicit or no).

What form did your assistance take?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    Foodstamps were on a card which could only be used to buy food items, it wouldn't even pay for toilet paper. The childcare assistance was run by a government certified daycare, i had no control over their payment. I paid them forty seven dollars a month and the government paid the rest. Welfare, such as TANF, is extremely hard to get. You have to be making almost nothing in order to receive that. I was making $1,000 dollars a month for a family of three and I wasn't eligible. If I remember correctly, I couldn't have been eligible if I wasn't under a few hundred dollars a month. I do believe when you have tanf you pull it off a card at an ATM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    So, no big rocks of crack cocaine for you, eh?

Thanks for sharing the info.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    So, no big rocks of crack cocaine for you, eh?
    I saw nothing about her being a drug addict.

You are weird.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Foodstamps were on a card which could only be used to buy food items, it wouldn't even pay for toilet paper.
    Yeah I've seen that. Around here it's called the Independence Card.

---
    I remember one year when I young (I might have been 7), I think my mother lied about her pay so I could get reduced lunch at school. It was 40 cents.

It came up because every year after I paid a dollar. I remember some kids getting free lunch.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Quote Originally Posted by tusks View Post

http://www.ucowf.org/ - United Council on Welfare Fraud

Link to Skizo's article:
    http://waysandmeans.house.gov/hearin...riendly&id=680

Scroll down a bit to find it.
    Okay, thanks, what I wanted was a date. That was in 2003. It's probably a state by state thing but I used government childcare in 2005 and it didn't seem so easy to commit fraud.

• Unless you were scared for your life, you had to go after your ex for child support or they would cut off food stamps, child care, etc. They even had a child support office right there in DFCS. I had to submit a certified letter from my lawyer proving that he was taking care of that.
    • I had to give them a copy of my class schedule so they knew when I had class and I couldn't take my child to daycare on other days.
    • I had to give an itemized report of all money coming into and leaving my household. Then, for proof, had to give them my last three months of bank statements so they could check my list against them.
    Maybe I'm just not as good at cheating the system as other people, but it just seemed to me to be very hard to lie your way through it with as much as they check on you and as much proof that they need.
    What state are you in?

It's probably not that you are not good at cheating the system. You are most likely just an honest person or that a combination of your honesty and the checks keep the system honest.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    I was already on birth control and had nothing to fear from urine testing, I suppose I would have if it had been required but I find it an extreme invasion of privacy and rights and do not agree with it. Which is exactly why it will never get passed.
    Where's the invasion of privacy and rights?

I had to take a urine test to make money at my job, btw.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast