Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: complete noob

Quote Originally Posted by kopy View Post
    Thanks for all the answers but i'll stick by torrenting for a while
    Learn usenet it is worth it. Most of us use BT also it is just quicker on usenet if the file is available. Stick with
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    ..:: c.R ::..'s Avatar Φ MySpace_SuK(s
    kopy,

Enjoy your torrents. i can see the appeal, they are free and in some ways "easier" to use.

Good luck out there and stay safe.
    "Of the delights of this world, man cares most for sexual intercourse. He will go to any length for it-risk fortune, character, reputation, life itself." -Mark Twain

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    who knows... BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Thanks everyone for the help

merry X-mas to everyone

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    ..:: c.R ::..'s Avatar Φ MySpace_SuK(s
    You too kopy.
    "Of the delights of this world, man cares most for sexual intercourse. He will go to any length for it-risk fortune, character, reputation, life itself." -Mark Twain

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    kaiser's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Maybe someone could offer a working free newsserver to a noob like me Just to have try before spending money on a non-free ng account (if I like the whole thing).
    Thanks in andvance!

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Almost every provider offers a free trial.
    I.E. start an account, if it's not for you cancel within so many GBs and be charged nothing.
    Yes, they will let you know when you hit that mark before charging you. At least Giganews did....

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    I'm also a total noob at usenet as I am getting sick of torrents, so sry if my question makes no sense but, If I pay a newsgroup provider can I dowlnoad from any news group on any news server or does each provider have their own news servers that you get access to?

Also in answer to kaiser's issue, I don't know what you usenet veterans think about Usenext but I did a 1GB free trial with then without ever even taking my credit card out of my wallet.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    You if you are new to Usenet, think of Usenet as the Internet. To get to either you have to have a provider, and for the most part you are going to have to pay for that service.

Just as websites are on the Internet, newsgroups are on Usenet.
    Just like depending on who you buy Internet from, some sites may get filter. Depending on who you buy Usenet from some newsgroups may get filtered.

You have an almost unlimited choice of Usenet providers though. Most provider all most all newsgroups. What the real issues are is retention and completion. How long files are kept before the space gets recycled, and how well those files are kept. I'd do my homework on providers. Giganews really is the best, but some people are turned off by their cost compaired to other providers.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Thanx for the help makes much more sense to me know. I was also wondering, Is there a free client you can recommend so that would easily get the hang of it when I get provider? and do most providers come with proprietary clients?

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    A basic and easy client that I use myself is GrabIt. It's also free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast