Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt files

Hey guys, am fairly new to the whole newsgroups thing but have been loving it so far.

I hae just downloaded a large dvd
    The problem is winrar is reporting 4 of the 167 rar files to be corrupt. Usually when this happens i download those individual files again and all is fine. I have done this 4 times and they are still corrupt. I ran an sfv checker which also tells me that they are corrupt. I tried running advanced rar recovery which didn't help either.

When i run winrar at the moment upon completion all i get is the mds file along with the errors.

Basicly was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way i can get good versions of these 4 rar files or if i can watch the content in any way ie. missing the corrupt files out etc etc

Is there a way for me to watch the content on the other 163 rar files which are ok?
    This is the release so you guys know and my errors are stating that parts 155, 158, 159, and 167 are corrupt

http://www.binsearch.info/?b=ents+RE...6L8%29&max=250

Cheers in advance

sorry forgot to mention about the whole par2 thing. Am i right in thinking that just a few extra par2 files could solve this problem. If so how do i request these. Do i just email (and how do i get the email address, i tired this and got a delivery fialure [email protected]) the poster or is there another way i am supposed to do it.

Cheers
    Last edited by jibber4568; 12-19-2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Part 155 is missing one block here and 274 recovery blocks were posted, so I don't understand why you are looking for extra par2 files.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    Part 155 is missing one block here and 274 recovery blocks were posted, so I don't understand why you are looking for extra par2 files.
    Errr ok i am a little confused. Please be patient with me as i am new to all of this.

At present if iwant to download i search at binsearch.info.

I downloaded the 24 season 2 disk 4 collection and had 3 corrupt rar files. The par2's in this collection didn't help this.

You state 274 recovery blocks were posted. where do you see these? Are you just refering to the ones in the initial collection??

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Download and install quickpar

Double click on one of the pars, if you need to tell windows to open the par with quickpar. The program will then repair the rar file set.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post

Double click on one of the pars, if you need to tell windows to open the par with quickpar. The program will then repair the rar file set.
    Yes i have been doing his the whole time. You can see the results of this below

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jibber4568 View Post

Yes i have been doing his the whole time. You can see the results of this below
    Your Search using Binsearch (http://www.binsearch.info/?b=ents+RE...6L8%29&max=250) didn't yield any par sets. Going by request id (13186) also didn't yield any par sets (http://www.binsearch.info/?q=13186&max=250&adv_age=). But if you had searched by request id (13186) on Newzleech, you'd get a result with a par set (http://www.newzleech.com/?group=&min...de=usenet&adv=. Specifically it's http://www.newzleech.com/?p=2994722, which is the 2nd result from the request id search.

The lesson I learned from my use of bin search engines is not to rely on just one search engine but to utilize at least 2 engines when searching for a release. Another tip is to search by request ids or filenames (i.e 13186 <request id> or 24S2D4 <common filename>)

Edit/Add: You're didn't post your image link right so I corrected the image link in the quote in my reply.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter

HIT THE REPAIR BUTTON!!

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Thanks to Jibber for calling attention to a corruption issue that I didn't already know about. Turns out to be a problem with NewsHosting that they should be able to solve.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    NNTP (news-news transport protocol) is an electronic bucket brigade; the possibility of the files being corrupted throughout the process is ripe!

Original Poster transmit to news-server.

News-server to News-server

News-server to ultimate downloader

Things are MUCH better these days than even a couple years ago. But 'stuff' still happens, which is why parity (PAR/PAR2) files exist. But the number of huge transfers (4.5 to 9GB) without any need to repair is kinda stunning, once you realize things.

i.e., look at the 'path' in the downloaded parts for a clue to this; how many 'hops' did the files take....? I get things with > 10 jumps all the time, it's rare to get no hops at all.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10

HIT THE REPAIR BUTTON!!
    LOL wtf can people be this dense? What the hell...wow just wow.
    Also check out Auto Repair above it, just incase you forget how to repair again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast