Thread: Promise Board

About six months ago my friend told me that I should take out my promise baord and not use it. I had a pentium 3 then. My new system consists of an AK32A, KT266A, AMD 2200+ with 512ddr, 1cd burner, 1dvdrom/re-writable burner, 1 30gighd and 1 40gighd, 1 3.5fl, and a g-force4 128ddr. Would I benifit by putting that promise buard back in? I didn't really notice a difference when I took it out of the old system. Also one more question, I have 5 total fans running in my case and the powersupply is 200watts. Should I replace the powersupply with a more powerful one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What Promise board?
    What did you use the board for?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    the board connected the IDE cables from the motherboard to the harddrives and the same for the cdroms

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you really should upgrade your supply, it seems a little weak compared to the system. if ur powers suplly get overloaded it could catch fire, if it a cheap suplly. also cheap supply tend not to give max wattage as stated. usuallly a little less.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Agree with Livy. With that supply, get rid of any non essential PCI devices. I'm a bit surprised it operates now at all given the minimum requirements for your system are not being met. ATX= 300 watts min.

Also, the promise Ultra IDE controllers can add 10 - 30 second hardware detection time to boot with no performance increase over your on board IDE.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I'll get a powersupply tomarrow.