Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sci-fi books

bornwithnoname's Avatar Bit Master BT Rep: +1
    orson scott card - Ender's Game

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

2. Lounge   -   #22
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by bornwithnoname View Post
    Second that.
    You could also the Ringworld series or Riverworld which I really enjoyed.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Septimus's Avatar -- Nicolas -- BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    you should read Ray Bradbury´s novels.... i read some of his novels in english and also in spanish

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bornwithnoname View Post
    Hahaha, I think I read that book about 6 times during my high school career. Couldn't get enough of it.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    You could also the Ringworld series or Riverworld which I really enjoyed.
    Riverworld was really good

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Poster
    A landmark of the Sci-Fi literature - Dune, by Frank Hebert. That's my recommendation.
    A must read for any Sci-Fi, and even for the average book reader.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The original Dune was magical.
    I've found some of the sequels and spin-offs interesting but nothing matches up to the first.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    I just finished Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet. It is an excellent read.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    The Chronicle Of Amber

Code:
    a popular fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. It has inspired a roleplaying game and a video game.
    In the Amber stories, Amber and the Courts of Chaos are the only two true worlds; all others, including our Earth, are but "shadows" of the tension between them. Royals of Amber who have negotiated the Pattern, and the equivalent Chaos nobility who have navigated the Logrus, can freely travel through the shadows and alter them, but they cannot alter Amber itself.
    Contents 
    1 The Chronicles 
    1.1 The Corwin Cycle 
    1.2 The Merlin Cycle 

The Corwin Cycle
    -----------------
    The first Chronicles of Amber were written by Zelazny as a series of five novels. The books are narrated by Corwin (though one chapter is told to Corwin by Random), who wakes up in a hospital in New York from a coma with amnesia, escapes, tracks down his sister Florimel, and discovers that he is a scion of the ruling family of Amber. He is taken by Random to walk the Pattern, a labyrinth inscribed in the dungeons of Castle Amber which gives the multiverse its order. Walking the Pattern restores Corwin's memory and his powers to travel through shadow. He attempts to conquer Amber, which is currently ruled by his elder brother Eric, but fails and is blinded and imprisoned. Blindness removes his two possible means of escape; walking through shadow, or using the Trumps (AKA "major arcana") of a tarot deck which allows communication between members of his family. He regrows his eyes, and thanks to a chance encounter with Dworkin Barimen, the mad sorcerer who created the Pattern, he escapes. He discovers a threat to Amber, a black road which runs across universes from the Courts of Chaos to Amber, created by damage done to the Pattern by his brother, Brand. The chronicles then follow Corwin's attempts to recapture Amber and destroy the Black Road.
    The books are:
    Nine Princes in Amber (1970) 
    The Guns of Avalon (1972) 
    Sign of the Unicorn (1975) 
    The Hand of Oberon (1976) 
    The Courts of Chaos (1978) 
    The Merlin Cycle
    ----------------
    The next five novels focus on Merlin, who has been studying Computer Science while constructing an Artificial Intelligence powered by the Trumps, and wondering what has become of his missing father, Corwin. Before he leaves, he wants to find out who has been trying to kill him every April 30th and why they failed. He discovers his ex-girlfriend killed by beasts from another shadow, then finds that his best friend Luke is in fact the son of Brand and was responsible for the early attempts on his life. After a lot of political maneuvering, Luke persuades Merlin to rescue his mother, Jasra, who (it turns out) has been captured by Merlin's ex-girlfriend, who faked her own death and hooked up with Merlin's younger half-brother Jurt, who has acquired godlike powers and seeks to kill Merlin. This plot is almost resolved, when (in the fourth book) the story changes. It is revealed that the Pattern, and its chaotic counterpart the Logrus, are sentient, and wish Merlin to take sides and tip the balance of the multiverse towards Order or Chaos (respectively).
    Trumps of Doom (1985) 
    Blood of Amber (1986) 
    Sign of Chaos (1987) 
    Knight of Shadows (1989) 
    Prince of Chaos (1991) 
    These stories are held by some to be of a lower quality than the first five, revolving around the acquisition of ever more powerful artifacts, each of which negates the drawbacks of the last.
    The first ten novels have also been released in a single volume called The Great Book of Amber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber
    http://zelazny.corrupt.net/amber.html
    I have it if you are interested, complete;
    shared on SoulSeek ..and the Dune series (pdf)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123