Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XP v. Vista

sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Vista sucks because of it does not support some of the old hardware and also it is very buggy too much resource eater.
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    @clocker - thanks for doing the tests.
    No prob.
    Oddly, even after seeing the results on my own machine, I'm still using Vista.
    I did add another gig of RAM ( now running 4 x 512MB) which helped a bit.
    I have no hardware issues, BSODs or other problems and whenever I do boot to XP it looks painfully flat and boring.

So I'm a sucker for eye candy...sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjana View Post
    Vista sucks because of it does not support some of the old hardware and also it is very buggy too much resource eater.
    As long as people insist that software supports "old hardware" we're going to be saddled with bad compromises.

Hardware advances at a blinding rate and at some point you just have to let the old stuff die.
    Besides, the "resources" you so jealously guard are abundant (and cheap) in new PCs.
    Hell, I could buy 8 GB of DDR2 memory for what a single gig of DDR costs.
    Last edited by clocker; 12-30-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    No prob.
    Oddly, even after seeing the results on my own machine, I'm still using Vista.
    I did add another gig of RAM ( now running 4 x 512MB) which helped a bit.
    I have no hardware issues, BSODs or other problems and whenever I do boot to XP it looks painfully flat and boring.

So I'm a sucker for eye candy...sue me.

As long as people insist that software supports "old hardware" we're going to be saddled with bad compromises.

Hardware advances at a blinding rate and at some point you just have to let the old stuff die.
    In order to shift to Vista we have to change the entire PC. If that was the case then I have plenty of other options too.. like shifting to Linux atleast that supports more old hardwares than Vista does...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    In order to shift to Vista we have to change the entire PC.
    My XP box made the change to Vista Ultimate with no problem.
    Granted, it was a pretty nice machine to start with but with the exception of DX10, I'm not missing anything.

What do you consider the service life of a PC to be?

Personally, I think three years.
    Now, this means it's probably running SATA hard drives, a 64 bit CPU, DDR RAM (with at least 1GB) and a PCI-E vid card.

Such a machine can easily handle one of the flavors of Vista.

As far as Linux goes...
    So far I haven't figured out how to get my Creative X-fi sound card to work in Ubuntu nor have I managed to install Ubuntu to a RAID array.
    Windows will do both with ease.

Naturally, I'm more familiar with Windows so that has to be factored in.

This should not be construed as Vista fanboi-ism...I'm aware of all the shortcomings and also aware of what Vista was supposed to be before MS started gutting it.
    I am also not a real PC power user, so my expectations are lower than many folks, but I still don't consider Vista to be the unmitigated disaster that others do.

YMMV.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    In order to shift to Vista we have to change the entire PC.
    My XP box made the change to Vista Ultimate with
    YMMV.
    Please check the link and let me know why people want to go back to xp.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42987

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Let's ignore the link and instead you tell me about your experience with Vista.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Let me tell you the experience. I am using the P5WD2-E-Premium. I had lot of difficulty installing the Vista and at last I installed. However this board is not compatible with Vista. I purchased recently. 1 year back with 975X chipset. I also use the Mercury TV tuner I am not able to find any drivers for that.

My Vista was keep giving me the Bluescreen error whenever I search the files and However no error with xp. It works like crystal clear.

I still want to stick with XP and if you think that Vista has good looks then we can get the Vista transformation pack.

In my opinion. I will wait for the next operating system in future or else stay what I have it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    You are blaming the OS for problems that are clearly the vid capture card's fault.
    A quick google for drivers showed that people have been having problems with that card since 2002.

Now I see why you're so attached to "old hardware" support.

Also, I see from the Asus support forum that your motherboard is not supported for Vista.
    A shame, but again, not the fault of the OS.

If you wait for the next OS to come out what do you think the chances are that it will work on your "old hardware"?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    You are blaming the OS for problems that are clearly the vid capture card's fault.
    A quick google for drivers showed that people have been having problems with that card since 2002.

Now I see why you're so attached to "old hardware" support.

Also, I see from the Asus support forum that your motherboard is not supported for Vista.
    A shame, but again, not the fault of the OS.

If you wait for the next OS to come out what do you think the chances are that it will work on your "old hardware"?
    I want to know one thing. You create the hardware to specific to OS or you create the OS to run the hardware.

I don't understand this. Secondly ASUS launched this board when the beta version was released and they were waiting for final version unless they don't have any final version they cannot test and make changes to the motherboard.

If Vista is one of the best then there should be something bad with vista where people are switching back to XP. I already gave the link to this.. Currently I don't think I will change my hardware just to run on Vista.

I will wait for another 2-3years. If something new in terms of hardware or speed. I will upgrade. Not because of OS I will change the entire hardware... You know there are people who are still using 98 from quite a long time and they don't want to change the hardware and nor the OS.They are happy with it. I believe if you are happy with Vista and use DX10.. Please go ahead and use it. I am happy with XP..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Ronnie Coleman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    When WindowsXP was released, it required average PC for very good performance. Windows Vista requires much more than average PC. And, even with non-average hardware configuration, Vista doesn't run smoothly as WinXP. That was deal-breaker for me.

So, I am using Windows XP Professional + Service Pack 2.

P.S. To anyone uninformed, Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 1 doesn't allow patching of theme.dll system file. That means visual style can't be used if it is installed while it doesn't bring any important update.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast