Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any rTorrent users here?

DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    i don't think the torrent client matters much. it is more about how the box is setup as a whole or any limiting factors a specific bt client can do that another can't. i like rtorrent but i just use azureus mainly for my home computing.

for speed reasons: a 100/100 box will max both ways on any bt client as long as it is buffered right and there is enough memory on the box for the bt client. also, if you want to up at your max 24/7 from lets say 100 different torrents then the data is split out a lot more then 1 or 2 torrents and because of this the hdd works harder and your speeds are slower. To solve this you need to to raid the hdds together or do some sort of memcache.

on a gigabit box to get speeds higher then around 50MB/s you will need to raid the hdds together. Ideal is best to have a min of 4 hdds in a raid 10 to get max speeds on bt contently or just mem cache and don't seed more then 4gigs of torrents at once.

it isn't a problem with the client but more how fast hard drives move and how the bt protocol works. it grabs small little chunks from all over the hard drive constantly and this works any hard drive at its max before the line maxes out especially on a gigabit. this is why gigabit is most likely not worth it for bt, but in other protocols provides a significant advantage.

er my point is it doesn't matter if you use rtorrent or another client. as long as the hardware has enough memory you should get the exact same speeds.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    yeah try using bittornado first and then rtorrent. Gargantuan difference.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Well, I'm thinking my current machine just doesn't have enough punch. It's a PIII and only 256 RAM and I'm running BitTornado with Torrentflux but I only manage to get speeds of up to about 3.2 up and down when I should be getting more, as advertised. TF doesn't have a whole lot of customizable settings unless I go in there and hack the code but I haven't had the time to do that. rTorrent looks like it's more 'open' to customization.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    i don't think the torrent client matters much. it is more about how the box is setup as a whole or any limiting factors a specific bt client can do that another can't. i like rtorrent but i just use azureus mainly for my home computing.

for speed reasons: a 100/100 box will max both ways on any bt client as long as it is buffered right and there is enough memory on the box for the bt client. also, if you want to up at your max 24/7 from lets say 100 different torrents then the data is split out a lot more then 1 or 2 torrents and because of this the hdd works harder and your speeds are slower. To solve this you need to to raid the hdds together or do some sort of memcache.

on a gigabit box to get speeds higher then around 50MB/s you will need to raid the hdds together. Ideal is best to have a min of 4 hdds in a raid 10 to get max speeds on bt contently or just mem cache and don't seed more then 4gigs of torrents at once.

it isn't a problem with the client but more how fast hard drives move and how the bt protocol works. it grabs small little chunks from all over the hard drive constantly and this works any hard drive at its max before the line maxes out especially on a gigabit. this is why gigabit is most likely not worth it for bt, but in other protocols provides a significant advantage.

er my point is it doesn't matter if you use rtorrent or another client. as long as the hardware has enough memory you should get the exact same speeds.
    nice explanation

Ppl use rtorrent because it's suitable for a low resorces system, no anyone could buy a high spec dedicated, for a budget around 30-50 Euros and getting a low end dedicated server, ppl would choose Linux and rtorrent as it would be the best choice.
    My experience with VPS running Windows with 512MB RAM, the utorrent max download is only on 5MB/s, higher than that would cause utorrent to close itself.
    For home use and the speed of 1.7MB/s, I still choose Azureus, because don't have utorrent for Mac OS

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebrian View Post
    Well, I'm thinking my current machine just doesn't have enough punch. It's a PIII and only 256 RAM and I'm running BitTornado with Torrentflux but I only manage to get speeds of up to about 3.2 up and down when I should be getting more, as advertised. TF doesn't have a whole lot of customizable settings unless I go in there and hack the code but I haven't had the time to do that. rTorrent looks like it's more 'open' to customization.
    def go with rtorrent.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Thanks for all the info guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12