Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is TOR a viable way for BT security?

Shall I ask, or shall I try it out myself... since I don't feel like installing it, I'll ask:
    DSL and maybe cable connecions, is The Onion Router network mature enough to handle BT?
    I know TOR isn't an option for private sites, since they keep track of your IP address, but when downloading from the murky backwaters of the public sector, in which anti-p2p agents are most notably abound, do you guys think it reasonable to use TOR?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    No, it takes like 5 seconds to figure out the ip of somebody hiding behind a proxy.
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by chillincool View Post
    No, it takes like 5 seconds to figure out the ip of somebody hiding behind a proxy.
    Tor is not "a proxy", but a network of proxies.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    beat's Avatar Square BT Rep: +4
    No. Tor is not designed for p2p, your downloads will be slow and it puts unnecessary stress on the tor network. Please don't do it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    What beat said. TOR produce slow speeds in your client, and is against the TOR rules i think, because your trying to push too much data. TOR is for browsing the net or using irc.

Someone invite me to fsc please

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    tor is fine for downloading on p2p if you don't mind super slow speeds. they even have a tutorial on their web page how to use it on bt.

there is using a proxy to report to the tracker or full blown proxy. if you use proxy to report to the tracker it will not hide your IP from the clients so you will have to use it as the full on socks proxy which is sslllooowww. also, it will make you not connectable and port forwarding will not help on this one.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    No. Tor is not designed for p2p, your downloads will be slow and it puts unnecessary stress on the tor network. Please don't do it.
    +1

People hogging bandwidth on Tor should be shot. Simple as that.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    People hogging bandwidth on Tor should be shot. Simple as that.
    If you are correct to disapprove of using TOR for p2p, consider this:

Optimize BitTorrent to outwit traffic shaping ISPs
    "Azureus provides in-client support for TOR and I2P. Other clients will have to set up the software as recommended on the TOR or I2P site.
    Note: TOR has been updated to allow peer-to-peer download data, despite any information to the contrary (it used to be prohibited)."

Maybe you should direct your indignation towards Azureus, or perhaps EFF for allowing TOR to be used for p2p.

I really started this thread to determine whether TOR has matured enough to handle p2p yet, and maybe for people to speculate when that ever might happen
    Last edited by anak; 12-26-2007 at 12:35 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    it can it is just really f'en slow.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    dogie's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    this guy is right please dont do it, just try to browse sites in tor it is very slow isnt it , but if people start using it for anonymus p2p this will totally kill tor.
    Last edited by dogie; 12-26-2007 at 01:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast