Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor

wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I had this old unit to which I had installed linux in conjunction with winxp as a dual boot.

So I was excited, but my monitor started making a zapping sound after I login the password in winxp as if the air in it got sucked. And then it blackens and the green light turns to an orange one.

The monitor seems to be working when the computer starts up but right after I enter my password at the windows login screen, there is a sucking sound and the monitor turns off.

A little strange.
    Any ideas?

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocktower's Avatar Poster
    is it a crt monitor ?how old is it? how old is your gfx card? details details always helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v gotten so many free crt monitors that " don't work " from friends and work , most just had a bent pin on the cable that I carefully straightened then passed on to friends . First thing I would check tho .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    its a crt monitor,
    -comp is about 10 years old

-I will check the pins, and see if that helps.

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    maybe the tube is going ot maybe its time for a lcd or tft monitor

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    well there seems to be a sound as if something is being sucked before it turns off. Seems like the capacitance is being discharged?

I hooked up the monitor to another pc but the same thing. Next thing to check is prolly the pins

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    as if something is being sucked

Your safest best it to try and blast it with a can of compressed air to clean out any dust that might be causeing an arc.. but most likely the monitor is dying and you shouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I'v gotten so many free crt monitors that " don't work " from friends and work , most just had a bent pin on the cable that I carefully straightened then passed on to friends . First thing I would check tho .
    checked the pins, still not working.

Any other tricks?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Check FreeCycle & Craigslist. If you're located in a populous place. A used CRT 17" should be available for $0-$15.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Check FreeCycle & Craigslist. If you're located in a populous place. A used CRT 17" should be available for $0-$15.
    yeah, seems like its dead. Thats probably the route to take now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast