Thread: Torrent neophyte seeks answers (and files)

Hey Torrent wizards.
    I've fallen and I can't get up. I'm on a Mac at a university. On any torrent tracker site I go to (Pirate Bay, sumotorrent) when I click on Download this Torrent it just 'prepares' to download endlessly (e.g. 'transferring data...." and never actually downloads anything. I tried copying the url into bittorrent but I get an error.
    Do you think there is some sort of firewall? Any help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Are you using Utorrent if not then I highly suggest you use that client as its a great easy to use client.

As for being blocked that could be the case especially if the university has policies against file sharing. Maybe giving more details like what school you are talking about and what client you are using would allow someone who has gone to that university to give you better advise.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Hey DKre8ive1,
    Seems like uTorrent is only for PCs, I'm on a mac. I'm using Bittorrent but I don't even get to that stage since I can't get the torrent in the first place.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm well sorry I never have used a mac so I am not sure of how it works on there, but the client I would suggest for macs would be Azureus.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/howto_osx.php

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Well, it's definitely a firewall since I just downloaded torrents no problem off of campus.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    FTN Please :) BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Yes it is firewall in university. Some sites offer the option to download it as a .txt file. Download that and change the extension to .torrent. Otherwise, use an anonymous proxy for public torrents....