Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 500GB external drive

Poster
    I'm looking for a 500GB external drive for data backup. How is WD My Book? Is there a major difference between the older and newer versions besides aesthetics? Also should I spend the extra $ on the higher editions or just stick with essential? I found a 1st gen 500GB essential for $125 and a 2nd gen 160GB essential for $100. also should I just copy my files on the drive for a backup or use a program? thanks for the help!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    For long term backup, I would never recommend a hard drive. They are too easily damaged, and eventually will wear out. I would use high quality DVDs, and multiple copies.

As for an external hard drive. If they are both USB2 I would buy the 500GB drive. Either way, the speed would be about the same, regardless of cache or the actual spindle speed. The limiting factor is the USB interface.

I believe the higher priced editions of the My Book you are talking about feature e-SATA. Which is useful if your computer allows it. E-SATA is just an external SATA connector that would allow the external hard drive to function at the same speeds as a regular internal SATA drive. You must have the connector on your computer and external HD.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i prefer to go with an external enclosure. you can put in any size hdd you want (up to 750gb with this model). that way you can swap out any hdd you ever want to test or transfer files to/from.

i know someone who owns a WD My Book, and the only thing i didn't like about it was that it showed up as 3 drives when connected (maybe due to the way its partitioned?).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    i know someone who owns a WD My Book, and the only thing i didn't like about it was that it showed up as 3 drives when connected (maybe due to the way its partitioned?).
    He/She has 3 partitions.

I own a (1st gen) WD 500GB Premium Drive My Book and I paid $200 for it when it came out. The only bad thing about the early models is that somtimes, randomly your computer will not recognize it. We have owned 3 in the family and all had the same problem so I would try to get a 2nd gen or find another brand unless you are not too concerned about it. Though I don't think I ever had it happen to me more than two times on my 500 and I've had it for a few months now (the more recently it is manufactured the better it should be generally speaking about external hdds).
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 12-28-2007 at 12:55 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I have some 2.5" external im trying to sell. All brand new in wrapping

Western Digital Passport
    2x 250GB (black) sells for $210 at bestbuy
    1x 250GB (white)

Seagate FreeAgent GO
    1x 160GB - sells for $133

Asking $120 for the Passports and $80 for the Freeagent.

i cant seem to edit my post (using my cell phone). but i will also be getting an internal 1TB and another raptor tomorrow :p
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 12-28-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    If you don't mind the size why not just buy a hard drive and an external enclosure and make it yourself?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    If you don't mind the size why not just buy a hard drive and an external enclosure and make it yourself?
    the hdd itself will be about $100 and the case will be about $50 so it will be even more expensive than the my book I found.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Does your motherboard have SATA ports?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I have the 500GB My Book Essential - had it since the summer with no issues. The only thing that is annoying (and it could be all externals) is that it spins up sometimes when I'm not actually using it - could be explorer searching in the background, though.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3223 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    the hdd itself will be about $100 and the case will be about $50 so it will be even more expensive than the my book I found.
    You don't really need a $50 external enclosure, there are $20-25 ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast