Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac torrent Apps

make sure you get the older version (i think 2.5), not whatever vuze nonsense they're calling it now

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    A good list of apps for the switchers out there, just in case anyone got a new mac for Christmas .

Web Browser - Safari 3 (Firefox does have some added functionality to it which might suit you aswell, i.e. integrated RSS feed etc.)
    IRC Client - XChat Aqua (There is also Colloquy)
    Instant Messaging - Adium (Ichat works just as well if you don't need multiple sn support etc.)
    App Launching - Quicksilver (This is one a lot of people seem to enjoy. Personally, I prefer just using the dock)
    Text Editor - TextMate
    Bittorrent Client - Azureus
    RSS - NetNewsWire (Sage if using Firefox)
    SysInfo - MenuMeters Menubars + iStat Pro widget
    Development - XCode (should come installed with Leopard)
    FTP - Transmit (Cyberduck if you can't seem to find a k'ed version)
    Emulation - Parallels*
    Adobe CS3 - Design Premium + After Effects
    App Removal - AppDelete
    DVD Rip - MactheRipper, Handbrake, Popcorn (Go to the Handbrake Forums for help)
    Comic Viewer - FFview
    Partition - iPartition
    Automated TV show torrent software - TVShow (uses a public tracker, not sure if you can set it up with something like bmtv)
    Unrar/Par2 - MacParDeluxe (I still use it even after I stopped using newsgroups)
    Movie Codec - Perian (I don't like VLC, but you might)

A note about Bittorrent -

Azureus is good so long as you have enough RAM in your machine. If you're running 512mb, you might want to reconsider. Also, if you aren't exactly a power torrent user (i.e. if you don't use that many trackers or tend to not leave many torrents running) I would suggest Transmission hands down. Lightweight and simple to work with.

If you are using a seedbox, I would suggest using firefox with the utorrent webui as I find Safari has a few bugs when using it. If you are using RTorrent on a seedbox, then you should definitely use NTorrent. It's java-based, but doesn't take up that much memory.
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123