Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how safe is it to donate?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    It's one hundred percent safe, because you are donation, and receiving nothing in return.

In fact, the only time you might find yourself in hot water is if you made a compulsory donation to access illegal material, via a dump box, or any other restricted method (Scene Access).

You have to remember that donating on OiNK was purely voluntary, and you did not receive anything that could be construed as illegitimate.

Even on sites that promote donations using a gimmick, such as Pay2Leech, or upload credits, these are not assigned to illegitimate material. In fact, what you spend you credit on does not matter. You could download the latest Linux distro.

The only time a monetary crime is committed is when you wittingly part with cash for something you know to be illegal. Paying a donation so that you can post in the VIP forums, or have a yellow star next to your name, is not yet a hanging offence, although the RIAA is trying to criminalize the yellow star.

Your should also remember that association is not adequate proof of activity. There were many members of OiNK who did not do much, if any, file sharing. They were there simply because of the community. Being a member of a community does not automatically make you a criminal. Only the act of crime makes you a criminal.
    thanks for that great explanation

now all my money belongs to trackers

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    NOLF's Avatar Love You Josefine! BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    I always donate to the sites I'm a member of and I have NEVER had any problems what so ever. Besides that I think everyone should donate to their favourite sites, just a couple of $$ at least.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    $we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    i'd rather a site have a bunch of p2c advertisements to get their revenue than p2l or "donate and get special privileges and 'cool status'" systems. consider tl as an example. if you are understandably this paranoid, maul1515, then just don't donate.
    before i assume too much, i shall ask you why you would ever want to donate considering the risk of exposure, as if donation is the only way a tracker can gain revenue?
    Last edited by $we; 12-31-2007 at 12:52 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Regarding the ads argument.

Public torrent link sites, yes i agree they can have as many ads as they like, Private communities i hate seeing ads on them, and we will never ever have ads on blackcats.

A private tracker may get 1000 users on a day, especially for something like blackcats, when there is a realy slow period for new games, like now for example.

Public sites may get 100,000 views per day, and maybe a lot more.

1000 views per day is not enough to pay anything monthly, and then you have ad blocker programs, pop up blockers, even picture blockers so most users that are savvy enough (which i would think is 90% of members of private trackers, maybe 10% of public torrent sites use)

Then you could have another incentive, i do know one tracker that does this, im not knocking them, but it can and does happen, Donate for VIP and you wont see any ads on the site, so ads bring more problems then they are worth.

Personally i hate ads, and if i hate them i do not see why my members have to see them. and they are not the great money making secret most people think they are, especially for private tracker communities.
    Last edited by stoi; 12-30-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Spelling etc

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    $we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    ad they are not the great money making secret most people think they are, especially for not private tracker communities.
    you're right, but i didn't mean to imply that i think ads should completely replace donations just because donations are risky to some in oppressive governments. many people can freely donate, and should, in countries where the government isn't as pervasive in the private affairs of the citizenry. however, i strongly advise those in other countries to reconsider the benefits of donating and decide whether they outweigh the risks involved.

edit: if maximum anonymity is your goal, never donate. this probably is your goal, since you are paranoid; you are not alone. i have never heard of an anonymous donation system, the organization of which is beyond me, so i think this is your best bet.
    Last edited by $we; 12-31-2007 at 12:51 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Yea i am gonna start donating more when i can. id on't see anything wrong with it. It would be a crime if trackers said it was mandatory then yes.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    so far so good for me
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    safer not to donate...
    but its still pretty safe

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Don't worry. It is safe in terms of transfer and now a day you can create the virtual credit card instead of your actual card and that can't be used more than once.

I did donate and it is safe and faster..
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    safer not to donate...
    but its still pretty safe
    even on p2l sites you can get spotted while uploading to get some buffer... but if you donate without uploading, copyright agencies cannot say that you have uploaded copyrighted material

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12