Thread: Need help usb2 file transfers

Hello everybody new here and need some help. Got myself a new portable that has VISTA on it, also got a usb2 case to put my old drive from old portable to transfert my docs. When i try to open pics or docs always get a message that i need adminstrators permision so i go thru the security and change the info for acces and still will not open. Any info will help!

Thanks!
    Oh sorry for my spelling from Canada and have not writen in English for a long time

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by qcbob62 View Post
    Hello everybody new here and need some help. Got myself a new portable that has VISTA on it, also got a usb2 case to put my old drive from old portable to transfert my docs. When i try to open pics or docs always get a message that i need adminstrators permision so i go thru the security and change the info for acces and still will not open. Any info will help!

Thanks!
    Oh sorry for my spelling from Canada and have not writen in English for a long time
    What you should do is boot up the old computer with the old drive in it. Then copy everything from your My documents folder to the root c:/ drive. Then you will be able to access the files on the new portable via the USB2 device.

This is one of the easiet ways since the files you have in your MY DOCUMENTS folder are password protected. There is another way via a key, I believe but this is probably the easiest solution.

Dont forget to copy over the favorites folder too. And if you want to fully transfer all of your settings, consider using MS file and transfer settings migration tool. Works pretty good.
    Last edited by psxcite; 12-30-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Hey thanks psxcite, old computor is dead (motherbord), i will look into MS file and transfer settings

Thanks again for your time!!