Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD/Divx Player with USB

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK so without much research I was in Best Buy yesterday and I had a $100 gift card and I saw this DVD/Divx player with USB, on an impulse I got it It's the Philips DVP5982.

WOW I just checked another thread that came to mind and this player was recommended by Busyman™ in this thread ( just wanted to give credit where it's due ) I honestly didn't remember that it was recommended, it was just an impulse buy, but Thanks Busyman!

It's on sale right now for $59.49 USD and I also got the PNY 2 gig flash drive for $20 WHAT A GOOD DEAL!!! This player is fantastic it looks great the USB feature is just amazing! With the 2 gig I fit 2 Divx movies on it just to check it out and I transfered it to the stick in under 2 min and it was ready to play immediately. I am so impressed with the ease of the UBS features I had to write and tell you guys.

I am going to try the External USB HDD in a while but I have no time ATM Someone said that the drive needs to formatted to FAT 32 and currently my WD 500 gig My Book is NTFS.I do have an old 40 gig HD with an external enclosure I could hook up quickly but I have 2 questions. First Why would I have to format to FAT 32? Secondly I can't seem to figure out how to format to Fat32 I have XP and it doesn't give me the option other than NTFS to format to. Do I need a program to do this or what? Sure I could Google it but FST is always better than Google! Thanks guys and I HIGHLY recommend this player to anyone who is in the market for one!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i have a friend with the same dvd player and yes the hdd must be fat32. we went through all kinds of bullshit before enough googling finally led me to other people with the same issue.

i'm not sure exactly what the reasoning is for this (i think it has been explained in one of the many threads about this dvd player) but it has to do with the fact that ntfs is newer and still held pretty close to the chest by m$.

you can create fat32 partitions with other hdd management utils like partitionmagic etc. its mildly frustrating, but once it's set up, shouldn't be a hassle anymore.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    can u attatch external drive to the usb port?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    can u attatch external drive to the usb port?
    yes, that's what we're talking about with the ntfs vs. fat32 issue. you can use a usb thumb drive or an external usb hdd.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I am putting the HDD into the enclosure now I have an old 40 gig I am going to use. I Also have 3 500 gig Externals also but I don't want to format one of those just for the new player I think 500 gig's of Xvids would be a bit much 40 gig would be just fine. I still have to grab a copy of Partition Magic to format into fat32 though. Does anyone know if there are any other possibly better programs I could use?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any other possibly better programs I could use?
    swissknife will do the trick.

It can't resize, move, or even delete created partitions, nor can it work with partitions on the boot disc. It can, however, make FAT32 partitions larger than 32MB--something Windows 2000 and XP can't do.
    Last edited by lee551; 12-31-2007 at 03:04 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post

It can't resize, move, or even delete created partitions, nor can it work with partitions on the boot disc. It can, however, make FAT32 partitions larger than 32MB--something Windows 2000 and XP can't do.
    32mb? 32GB you mean?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    do post your reviews of this dvd player when you get some time. When there is a need from my older model of Phillips that doesnt have the usb, I may consdier this one

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    32mb? 32GB you mean?
    i was just quoting download.com, i'm sure they meant 32gb. nice spot.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    I have this dvd player, for about 6 months now. And, I love it! Upconverts everything, found a little hack to make it region free also

Region Free Hack

Yes you need to use fat32, i just use my 4g flash drive and put xvid's on it all the time.

Vista allows me to format to fat32, fat, or ntfs.
    Today is the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast