Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Simple Question

this is a simple question (as stated in topic header).
    if i have 2 open forum pages, does that count as one or two connections towards the 250 connections limit?

i sometimes have multiple forum windows open and don't want to be inadvertantly adding to the number of connections if it's true
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Poster
    A good question. However I think you may be confusing Browser windows for IP connections.

I think your IP can only be connected to the board once. As you send traffick from each browser window it uses the same connection.

That could be pi&#036;h tho&#39;.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Actually I&#39;ve kinda wondered about that issue myself.

Though as JP points out - you only have one connection, I was curious as to whether it was an additional strain for the site to be refreshing/loading more than one page on my screen at the same time.

But with my slow connection, 10 screens probably wouldn&#39;t put as much stress on the servers as 1 person using broadband.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Poster
    Wouldn&#39;t flood control deal with that.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Out of The Ordinary
    Good question 3rd gen noob

I searched for this at the IPB Forum but couldnt find anything.
    Here&#39;s some quotes though:

This is caused by too many connections to the MySQL server at one given period in time. This is usually a problem that occurs if your host has given you too few connections for your board, in which case, if too many users are active on it, you will recieve that error message.
    This is a problem you will need to direct to your host, as they need to change server based settings.
    There are too many connections going through to your board at one given time. This is usually due to the fact that your host has not given you enough connections. Talk to your host about this error.
    This one is from the MySQL site:

Too many connections Error:
    If you get the error Too many connections when you try to connect to MySQL, this means that there is already max_connections clients connected to the mysqld server.

If you need more connections than the default (100), then you should restart mysqld with a bigger value for the max_connections variable.

Note that mysqld actually allows (max_connections+1) clients to connect. The last connection is reserved for a user with the SUPER privilege. By not giving this privilege to normal users (they shouldn&#39;t need this), an administrator with this privilege can log in and use SHOW PROCESSLIST to find out what could be wrong. See section 4.5.7.6 SHOW PROCESSLIST.

The maximum number of connects MySQL is depending on how good the thread library is on a given platform. Linux or Solaris should be able to support 500-1000 simultaneous connections, depending on how much RAM you have and what your clients are doing.
    BOT

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 July 2003 - 08:10
    Wouldn&#39;t flood control deal with that.
    No, no... I don&#39;t mean I&#39;m trying to reply in all the open windows at once... just that I may open an additional window before the previous one has completely loaded.

As usual, I haven&#39;t made myself clear enough.

But as I supposed - my speed probably isn&#39;t high enough to be significant anyway.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Forum Star
    You only use mysql connections when you load a page.

Once the page is loaded you are not using up a connection.

So having open multiple pages isn&#39;t a problem.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Originally posted by Paul@26 July 2003 - 16:35
    You only use mysql connections when you load a page.

Once the page is loaded you are not using up a connection.

So having open multiple pages isn&#39;t a problem.
    thanks for replying

you learn something new everyday then...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    edited: sorry

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@26 July 2003 - 17:30
    so does that mean that tw here might be the cause of all our troubles since his slow connection takes multiple connections for a long time
    j/k
    That&#39;s a bit harsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast