Thread: Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Despite more than 20,000 lawsuits filed against music fans in the years since they started finding free tunes online rather than buying CDs from record companies, the recording industry has utterly failed to halt the decline of the record album or the rise of digital music sharing. But in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: in legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer."

Source: Full Clip @ Neowin.Net
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 01-01-2008 at 03:06 AM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Actatoi's Avatar 2+2 is 5 if I say so BT Rep: +2
    So what should we do with the mp3 players then :whistle:

If we can't transfer our music onto computer->mp3 player.
    What an ordinary day, the extraordinary way.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    tusks's Avatar ¯\(°_o)/¯ BT Rep: +1
    Not suprising really. I'd have to agree with a user on Neowin who said, "Oh you won't be able to actually play your purchased music if they had their way..."

These people really don't give a shit about the music or the usability of that music, its all about the green and they'll find any fucking way to make sure they get it.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    they're so out of touch with the world its utterly unbelievable. (and SAD)

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    I think the first person to be charged should be Bush , should be an easy case to win

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    This article is also rather misleading. They have not gone after anyone for making a copy of their legally purchased cd. They are suing people that share the copies they have made though.

who cares what the Riaa have to say about what is personnel use and not. They have no legal power and its going to be impossible to actually enforce any such law.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Otis Redding must've seen this coming in 1968
    Sittin' in the mornin' sun
    I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come
    Watching the ships roll in
    And then I watch 'em roll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Watching the tide roll away
    Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Wastin' time
    ...an oldie, Created: 1/6/2006 5:08:55 PM...

"Submission to the Federal Government enquiry on fair use, fair dealing and other exceptions in the Digital Age, by Alex Malik 1
    (1) Introduction
    I am an academic researcher currently completing a PHD in law at the University of
    Technology. My research topic is an analysis of piracy in the digital age – with a
    focus on the extent of piracy, its impacts on industry and the community, and an
    analysis of industry and Government responses to piracy. During the course of my
    research I have focused on the recording, film, gaming, book and software industries.
    I have also written extensively on fair use issues and have had op-ed pieces included
    in various publications include The Age.
    I wish to make a submission to the Federal Government's review on fair use and
    other copyright exceptions. I allow you to reproduce or quote from this submission if
    you wish. I also look forward to the opportunity of speaking to the Committee on the
    important issues raised in this review.
    (2) Lack of availability of MP3s
    At the moment one of Australia's most popular songs is Beautiful Soul by Jesse
    McCartney. It was No. 1 on the Australian singles sales charts for several weeks and
    continues to be popular on radio. The track is at presently unavailable as a paid
    digital download from the three authorised suppliers of digital downloads in Australia:
    Bigpond Music, Ninemsn Music and Destra.""

...MORE

Source: http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/rwpattach.nsf/VAP/(AEEBC4E05675B564D2489B776B8B056A)~p109+Alex+Malik.PDF/$file/p109+Alex+Malik.PDF

Everything gets done by not doing anything.