Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPU spiking and freezing

Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Hey i went to my mums the other day and took my pc. When i got there and turned my pc on the CPU meter started spiking irratically and making the programmes that i was running freezing:s but the wierd thing is, its not a proper freeze cos the mouse cursor still moves. Anyway i went back to mine and was fine a for a couple of days and now all of a sudden its started doing it again.
    The programmes that im running dont take up alot of CPU power nor ram.
    is there anything i can do about it?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Hey Dan, What are your system specs? Might be a failing Ram issue maybe try using memtest and see what happens there

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Since these symptoms appeared after you moved the PC, first thing I'd do is pop the sidepanel and check that everything is properly seated-RAM, heatsink, etc.

After that, open Task Manager and see what's using up the CPU cycles.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-09-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale ive run the ram scam and everything seems to be alright there were no errors though it did take a while my specs are;
    Manufacturer:WinFast
    Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, ~2.2GHz
    Memory:1022MB RAM
    Hard Drive:160 GB Total
    Video Card:Radeon X1550

Operating System:Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)

clocker i did what you said i had a nosey around the case everything was in its place and plugged. I looked at the CPU cycles and nothing was using the CPU. I think it might be th heat:s when i was at my mums the case was right to the wall and i dont think any cold air was getting to it. If your CPU gets to hot is this what happens?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well, you could run Core Temp and see what you're running.

Not a bad idea, in any case.

And yes, extreme heat will cause the CPU to throttle back but the emphasis has to be on "extreme" because it really does take quite a lot.

You might want to check your power settings and see if Vista itself is doing the throttling or maybe something else in the OS was spiking.

I've noticed that even with the Vista indexing shut off, the hard drive seems to be constantly accessed in Vista...I have no idea what it's doing.

Jumping between XP Pro and Vista shows that my core temps run @5c hotter in Vista, presumably the CPU is always running more stuff just to keep the OS up.

The extra HDD activity and higher temps are really starting to put me right off the OS, honestly.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    why is it that it takes windows such a long time to sort out an OS? ya pay this money and it aint up to scratch!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I can think of a couple of reasons...

-Hardware advances at such a rapid pace that it's tough to keep up with.

-MS has to at least pretend to accommodate old stuff so there's lots of legacy hardware support.

-Like everything else, MS tries to cram too much stuff into the app...browser, media player, etc. If they'd ditch all the extraneous stuff and just concentrate on the core of the OS, it'd probably be much leaner, meaner and better.
    Of course, if they did drop the browser and media player, half the users would be unable to get on the net or play a movie and then you'd really hear some bitching.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lol yerr you would like. Well my core temp at the mo is -49C dunnoi why it has the lil minus sign before it. But is that temp any good?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Try another program like Everest and see...that temp doesn't seem right.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Is that to high?

is the programme called everest cos i typed it into google and it came up with aloud of software and bits and pieces about the mountain.
    Last edited by Acid_death69; 01-09-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast