Thread: Safest Cpu Temp For An Amd Athlon

Hi guys, 1st post so hope you can help!]

I have just installed PC Alert which monitors CPU temp etc, my AMD Athon 1Ghz is running with a temp of 59C but has gone up to around 64C.

Should I worry and what is the highest temp and recommended temfor Athlon 1Ghzs

Help appreciated

NW.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    depending which core you have, the max die temp is either 70, 90 or 95 degrees celsius

therefore you're still quite a bit under the max die temp

however, your temps are very high

you should think about investing in a good heatsink and fan. look for a copper heatsink if you can afford it

also, get some good thermal grease (arctic silver 3 is probably the market leader)

what room is the computer in? is there a lot of empty space, or is the room cramped with little room?
    what is the ambient temp outside as well?

edit: the 'safest' temp would probably be somewhere between 25 and 35 degrees c (unless of course you want liquid cooling (though that can stress the processor)

my athlon 2700 runs at approx 38 degrees idle 42 full load and the temp outside is approx 20 degrees c
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My PC is located under my desk in a medium sized room, it has a coolermaster CPU fan and a standard PSU fan.

Do you think it would be worth investing in a seperate case fan to help with the colling? or should I place the the PCs tower else where?

Thanks...

NW

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it would probably be worth investing in a bay fan and/or exhaust fan (they&#39;re really cheap anyway)

do you know if your heatsink is copper or aluminium?
    also, do you know what thermal grease/compound you currently have on?

the current location should be ok, however, if you could ensure a better airflow easily, you may want to think about that

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The only compund I have on it is what was on the peel off strip on the coolermaster CPU fan which, I think is aluminium.

I may look into buying an extra fan, I have had my PC for around a year and a half and it has seemed to have survived pretty well...do you think its worth trying to sort out cooling so late in the PCs life?

NW

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by NeoWalker@26 July 2003 - 17:51
    I may look into buying an extra fan, I have had my PC for around a year and a half and it has seemed to have survived pretty well...do you think its worth trying to sort out cooling so late in the PCs life?
    well, it&#39;s entirely up to you.
    if you&#39;re not really bothered about it and are gonna replace it anytime soon, just leave it

however, if it&#39;s your only computer and no upgrade is near, it may be worthwhile investing a little improving its lifespan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just a thought. If you just started monitoring temps. & your puter is 1 1/2 yrs. old. I&#39;m thinking your cpu fan might be filthy, let alone the rest of the inside of your case. Clean your fans & the rest & your temps might go way down. I have an AMD 900 MHZ athlon (pre XP) & it runs well @ ~51C. Close to 2 yrs. no sweat.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks all for your help... much appreciated&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    i have a laptop (about 5 month old DELL) and i swear the bottom of that thing sometimes gets so dam HOT I think im burning my self

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by SiRius128@26 July 2003 - 19:02
    i have a laptop (about 5 month old DELL) and i swear the bottom of that thing sometimes gets so dam HOT I think im burning my self
    a guy actually burned his &#39;manhood&#39; on a laptop not too long ago. i believe it was in the news...