Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Computer or Upgrade?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Today.
    Retailers need your money.
    I want to, believe me. I just feel guilty since it was just the holidays and I have plenty of other expenses to worry about.

/me weeps
    Screw that...the holidays are all about YOU!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I know I will crack soon...I can't stop thinking about it. I've never had a sata drive since I don't have sata support on my mobo. Will the drive come with the drivers I'll need for xp install or will I have to find them and slipstream my xp cd?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Unless you plan on RAIDing you won't have to do anything special.
    SATA drivers are part of the motherboard drivers and most modern chipsets present SATA drives to Windows as though they were IDEs.
    In other words...Windows doesn't even know it's dealing with a SATA drive because the motherboard is doing all the work.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    nope. no plans on raiding. It's going to be a pretty simple setup.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Today.
    Retailers need your money.
    I want to, believe me. I just feel guilty since it was just the holidays and I have plenty of other expenses to worry about.

/me weeps
    Believe me I know I have been talking about the new system I am going to build for months now. I lost my job and then the holidays came so I settled for a new MoBO and Hdd....for now.

I know I will crack soon...I can't stop thinking about it. I've never had a sata drive since I don't have sata support on my mobo. Will the drive come with the drivers I'll need for xp install or will I have to find them and slipstream my xp cd?
    Drivers will not be a problem as far as the hardware when you build your own system from scratch. They always come with a driver CD or you can DL them from the company site.

Might I suggest you get your hands on the XP Black Edition, it comes with a 5hitload of drivers and Driver Genius installed on it already along with a bunch of other programs.

BTW does anyone have any experience using this program? I just used it for the first time a few weeks ago and It's fantastic for those hard to find drivers for older HW. but the DL speed of the drivers themselves was slow as 5hit for me. Does anyone else have this problem?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    /me starts chanting "it's all about me, it's all about me"

hahaha Just trying to get the nerve up to take the plunge.

What wattage should my power supply be? I think my current one is 450w. I know the new system will be more power hungry, but I think the suggested power supply is a bit much - 250 bucks or so just seems a bit expensive...especially if I don't need it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256020
    Last edited by backlash; 01-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    that looks nice and I like the modular cable system. Makes for a tidy case! I'm gonna add that to my "wish list." I really thought the price would be significantly cheaper, but it's not at all cheaper. In fact, it's a little more. I guess I could save some money by choosing a simple case, but if I'm gonna do it I want it to be nice. Lights are cool, but my tower is under my desk and not really seen.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    mushkin 550250 ATX12V / EPS12V 580W Power Supply 115/ 230 V TUV, CE, CB, cUL, FCC - Retail $99.99

I actuall have this one in my current computer. It is super nice.
    It looks good. Really high quality cables. Very heavy and well made, and rail fusion is a very unique idea. It should be more than enough for the needs of this system.

When I bought this supply it cost about $150.

This would still be a very respectable system, about about half the cost of what I suggested before. You should have no problem running even the latest games at the highest setting. Plus, you could always upgrade later so it maybe even a wiser alternative the way things go obsolete so fast.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $119.00
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $219.99
    mushkin 550250 ATX12V / EPS12V 580W Power Supply - Retail $99.99
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GR - Retail $49.99 ON SALE!
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $126.99
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail $169.99

$786.94 total

And really, a few more dollars could be cut from this one too.
    Last edited by Broken; 01-05-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I've never heard of this brand and what is rail fusion? Does it mean it's fanless or something? I'm usually more comfortable with a well known name. Somehow it makes me feel better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast