Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer or Upgrade?

backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    My current system has treated me well and if I didn't come across a game I couldn't play I wouldn't consider upgrading just yet. I have Unreal Tournament 3 and realized, after looking at the back of the box, the minimum graphics card is a geforce6. I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 and it works just fine with the games I have.

My system is a P4 2.4GHz, 1 GB Ram (PC 2100). I only have AGP video and all the new cards are PCIe. It seems that even though prices have come down considerably, you're still gonna end up paying around $1500 for a good system. Of course, I could just get a new mobo, cpu, ram and a case, but it seems like it will still be a pretty penny.

Any ideas? New system, upgrade current system, don't play new game? hehe

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You can upgrade like me:
    Pentuium Dual-core e2180
    2x A-Data DDR2 PC6400
    SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900GT 256MB
    MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI

All for around $300 off newegg
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I am a big fan of do-it-yourself. It's really the only way to get exactly what you want and need. Right off the top of my head, I can proudly name off every part ID and manufacture that is in my system.

Your system isn't worth upgrading. Maybe you can save some parts, hard drives/optical drives. Maybe even the case a power supply, depending on what they are.

If you can come up with a dollar figure that you have to work with, and a list of parts that can be recycled into a new built we can help you come up with something.

You did say that you are happy with your system's performance but for one game. Progress for the sake of progress isn't a good thing. In months whatever you buy today will be obsolete.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I know what you mean. I don't even know if I should be buying anything major at this point. Things I would use - dvd drives (new burner), hard drives, floppy drive (hehehe), power supply (I replaced this one). Got the pc in 2002, which in the computer world is ancient. The computer is still good, so I don't want to leave it without a case...I'd have to get a new one. I guess when I get a new one I want it to be a good one that lasts a long time. I definitely can use more speed...I have outgrown the speed of my pc...faster, faster, faster!

Things I'd need - case, power supply, mobo, ram, vid card, hard drive - basically a whole new computer. I could reuse optical drives and the hard disk, but, like I said, I'd like to leave the system in tact to be used. *sigh*

/me wants a new puter

for $1199 @ Dell this is a system I put together
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support (meh - prolly will format and install xp pro)
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
    320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    No Monitor
    512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Dell USB Keyboard
    Dell Optical USB Mouse
    56K PCI Data Fax Modem

I wish I knew how to look at the speeds of the new processors. Since they are dual core I can't tell how much faster they will be based on seeing the speeds they list.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    /me wants a new puter

for $1199 @ Dell this is a system I put together
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support (meh - prolly will format and install xp pro)
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
    320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    No Monitor
    512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Dell USB Keyboard
    Dell Optical USB Mouse
    56K PCI Data Fax Modem

I wish I knew how to look at the speeds of the new processors. Since they are dual core I can't tell how much faster they will be based on seeing the speeds they list.
    This Dell would kick your P4's ass and not break a sweat.

Figure three years (max) as the service life of a PC- any longer and your epeen shrivels up and falls off.

Girls will laugh.

I'd rethink your plan to reformat to XP.
    Dell- along with the rest of the tier 1's- is very into proprietary hardware (especially motherboards) and driver support could be a problem.
    Not insurmountable but a pain, possibly.
    And remember...you're paying for Vista when you buy it. If you plan on ditching it from the onset, I'd check and see if you can't get XP out of the box.
    Besides, that thing should run Vista, no prob.

If it matters, I like the newer Dells a lot.
    The build quality seems quite good.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    /me doesn't have a peen to fall off

I really like that build, too. My current comp is a gateway and I looked there, but they cost more $ and give u less. Example: only 2GB ram, 120GB hard drive for a similar price.

Only thing I don't like is they take away the ps2 ports. My mouse and keyboard are usb, but sometimes you need that port. I guess I would use vista for awhile and then if I needed to I could put XP on. You can choose XP, but it costs $ to have that installed instead of vista and I already have a legal copy of XP pro.

When you talk about the driver issues do you mean they only offer drivers for vista now and aren't trying to support XP? In that case one would have to find the drivers on the manufacturer's site?

I have the itch and really want this new puter. Should I wait at all due to new processors or technology being around the corner. I'm not up on what's coming in the hardware world and would hate to have to kick myself for just missing out on something new.
    Last edited by backlash; 01-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    When you talk about the driver issues do you mean they only offer drivers for vista now and aren't trying to support XP? In that case one would have to find the drivers on the manufacturer's site?
    Precisely.
    If it's designed to run Vista, they're not going to expend one iota of effort on XP drivers.
    That doesn't mean they can't be found and in fact, if Dell offers that PC with XP, they obviously exist.
    Whether Dell will make it easy to get them might be another matter.

I have the itch and really want this new puter. Should I wait at all due to new processors or technology being around the corner. .
    There is always something new "right around the corner".
    Just buy what you want when you want it and deal with the fact that you're already obsolete.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    just asking here...

why don't u build it urself? u could build a better system urself and save 5 bills. i'm just saying.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    That's always an option, mr. nails, but requires a lot more work on my end. Researching all the hardware for compatibility and making sure it will all work together. I did it once before, but haven't done it in quite a few years.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast