Thread: Do You Have To Use Aol Software

Poster
    Do you have to use aol software to connect to aol or is there a way around it?

Its just the software really p****s me off and i cant be assed to change ISP

im in the UK btw
    Overnet Lite 0.53

Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by OcramC@26 July 2003 - 15:52
    Do you have to use aol software to connect to aol or is there a way around it?

Its just the software really p****s me off and i cant be assed to change ISP

im in the UK btw
    Yes you have to use aol software. Most dial in isps use the ppp connection so your able to set up a dial in connection without actually using their software. All you need is a username and password and the number. Aol doesnt let you do that. A very long time ago I used aol about 6 years ago and I even tried the old and out dated "slip" unix connection method and it still didnt work it would connect to the ras server but I couldnt do much because using that method only gave me about 33kbs. They have to have a way to justifiy that rediculious monthly charge you get so forcing you to use the software in order to connect allows them to do that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    ok.

well, as soon as BT gets its ass into gear and increases the line loss for broadband im moving to a broadband provider other than AOL
    Overnet Lite 0.53

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    as soon as BT gets its ass into gear and increases the line loss for broadband

Is this a typo or....

Why the hell would you want additional line loss ? It's something we fight to avoid constantly. The very reason that broadband has a 2 - 3 mb ceiling in most areas is line loss.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    BT is increasing the amount of line noise that it is acceptable to have, so around an extra 1km from the exchange is possible, it was supposed to happen in June, but it did not

The story on ZDNet UK
    Overnet Lite 0.53