Thread: Need some help... Say I downloaded...

Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Let's say I downloaded Planet Earth in some video format like x264, but it's in High Definition.

I want to watch it on my TV, but I don't have an HD-DVD player.

So if I convert the Planet Earth HD to DVD format using something like convert xtodvd, will it be in better quality but still in DVD format?

Or is there some way for me to watch it even if I don't have an HD-DVD player. I do have an Xbox 360 but no Xbox 360 HD player.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    NOLF's Avatar Love You Josefine! BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Well when converting to dvd from a hd source you must expect a great loss in detail. Imagine a file on 10GB to be cut down to 4.7 GB, you must expect a loss in detail. And with the program you plan to use, don't expect it to even be DVD quality.

If you have HDMI out on your computer, you can hook it up like that!

Also I can recommend the following sites:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup
    http://www.doom9.org/

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Definitely don't waste your time converting it to DVD.

If your Xbox 360 is on your home network, you can stream the video from your PC to your 360.

If your video is in an .mkv container, you'll need to do some simple steps to get it working. The 360 only supports .mp4 container for x264. Luckily, you can simply switch containers without wasting time and quality re-encoding.

Here's a rough outline of the process (Google all the programs if you don't have them already):

1) MKVextractGUI - Extract the audio and video streams
    2) H264info - Make the raw video dump a level 4.1 (highest level supported by the 360)
    3) Use a combination of dBpowerAmp/BeSweet/MeGUI to get the audio to AAC (LC profile, 2 channel, .mp4 container)
    4) Combine (mux) the video and audio together using MeGUI or YAMB (Yet Another Mp4 Box utility)
    5) Stream to 360 using TVersity

In the media blade, go to video and select your computer as the source, find the file, and enjoy!

It should go roughly something like that. Usually problems happen, but you might get lucky

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Thanks for the information

Thearrow- Any idea how long that process would take, and how long it'd take to stream?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    The whole process (mkv to 360-compatible mp4) usually takes ~25 minutes for two hours of 720p video for me. (2.4Ghz E6600 Core2Duo)
    This includes processing time for De-Muxing original file (5 min), changing level of video (10 min), re-encoding audio (5 min), and Re-Muxing the final file (5 min).

After you add the video to TVersity, it's ready to watch right away! No waiting at all.
    Last edited by thearrow; 01-12-2008 at 09:26 PM.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    yakir132's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    thanks it's help me either .. I looked for this before .

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    You could probably find something to convert it to WMV too.
    See ya in another life, brother.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    converting the film is the best solution