Thread: Downloading HD and Bluray Files

I recently got a PS3. Brilliant piece of kit. I dont really know too much about high def format.

My question is can i play a file download from a hd source
    eg -
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-tv-...64-ctu-264996/

or does it have to be a blu ray download
    eg - https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-mov...264-si-264944/

My first thoughts are no but when i go to wiki it seems they use the same encoding.

Thanks for any replies

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Dude both of these files are in 720P but to answer your question, PS3 supports 1080P So all 3 high def formats(720P, 1080I and 1080P) will look their best just make sure your PS3 if hooked up to your TV right and not with the 3 yellow white and red RCA cables. But PS3 will only play Blu Ray discs and not HDDVD
    Last edited by Dylster; 01-04-2008 at 05:51 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    imho none of those.

afaik that "thing" (the ps3) do not support 4gb+ files, neither it does have full mkv support afaik...

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Like yayyyyyy said, the PS3 won't like mkv files much. You can certainly use those files as a source though and recode/remux them yourself into proper PS3 compatible media files. One of the best current solutions is mkv2vob which does zero recoding (which would take hours!) but remuxes it into a different file container but it's optimated/intended for streaming purposes. There are loads of mkv to mp4 encoders though, as I've never used a single one of them I can only suggest you try for yourself.

About the 4gb limit, that is indeed true but can be dodged if you reformat the drive in another format. I'm talking about HFS+ which is supported by the PS3 and has no silly 4gb limit. Use MacDrive to format and access the external hdd and your file size limits are gone.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    You may (as I'm gonna do when I get my PS3 next week) install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro. Then the OS is the limit for what you can do with it.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    install TVersity on your PC. download .mkvs make sure they are a folder that TVersity sees. Turn on PS3, go to Video Bit scroll down to the PC with Tversity, go right a couple of times, see .MKV films, Play, Watch, Sorted.

this is how to play .MKV from your PC on your PS3 wirelessly.

I tried it with the I Am legend MKV and it worked flawlessly.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    You may (as I'm gonna do when I get my PS3 next week) install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro. Then the OS is the limit for what you can do with it.
    still cant play mkvs, or any other high quality stuff with linux on ps3.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Does the PS3 even play burned discs?

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenjdoc View Post
    I recently got a PS3. Brilliant piece of kit. I dont really know too much about high def format.

My question is can i play a file download from a hd source
    eg -
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-tv-...64-ctu-264996/

or does it have to be a blu ray download
    eg - https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-mov...264-si-264944/

My first thoughts are no but when i go to wiki it seems they use the same encoding.

Thanks for any replies
    Stoi has your answer. The only way to play HD files on your PS3 is by steaming it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylster View Post
    Dude both of these files are in 720P but to answer your question, PS3 supports 1080P So all 3 high def formats(720P, 1080I and 1080P) will look their best just make sure your PS3 if hooked up to your TV right and not with the 3 yellow white and red RCA cables. But PS3 will only play Blu Ray discs and not HDDVD
    I doubt he meant that he had a BD-Burner, BD-Media and the time to burn BD movies. But yes, you're right. You need to hook up HDMI or Composite video to view resolutions higher than 480pixels on your TV.

Quote Originally Posted by yayyyyyy View Post
    imho none of those.

afaik that "thing" (the ps3) do not support 4gb+ files, neither it does have full mkv support afaik...
    The PS3 doesn't have PS3 support AT ALL. Here's your solution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Like yayyyyyy said, the PS3 won't like mkv files much. You can certainly use those files as a source though and recode/remux them yourself into proper PS3 compatible media files. One of the best current solutions is mkv2vob which does zero recoding (which would take hours!) but remuxes it into a different file container but it's optimated/intended for streaming purposes. There are loads of mkv to mp4 encoders though, as I've never used a single one of them I can only suggest you try for yourself.

About the 4gb limit, that is indeed true but can be dodged if you reformat the drive in another format. I'm talking about HFS+ which is supported by the PS3 and has no silly 4gb limit. Use MacDrive to format and access the external hdd and your file size limits are gone.
    I believe streaming a video would be much easier than remuxing / reencoding a file

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    That statement is completely false. The linux kernel has limited access to the RSX (Video Card) so playing HD movies off your PS3 through *nix is nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    install TVersity on your PC. download .mkvs make sure they are a folder that TVersity sees. Turn on PS3, go to Video Bit scroll down to the PC with Tversity, go right a couple of times, see .MKV films, Play, Watch, Sorted.

That's the way I do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Does the PS3 even play burned discs?
    Of course the PS3 plays burnt discs, it can't tell the difference .

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post

Thanks