Thread: Apple targeted in DRM monopoly suit (again)

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The suit alleges that: "Apple has engaged in tying and monopolising behaviour, placing unneeded and unjustifiable technological restrictions on its most popular products in an effort to restrict consumer choice, and to restrain what little remains of its competition in the digital music markets."

According to the complaint, "Apple's crippleware operating system software prevents the iPod Shuffle from playing WMA files. Apple's iPod is alone among mass-market Digital Music Players in not supporting the WMA format,".

This time, the claims are predicated on the increasingly outmoded view that rights owners "are generally unwilling to license their music for online sale except in protected formats". Amazon now carries unlocked MP3s from three of the four major labels, along with hundreds of independents.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...wma_antitrust/
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 01-04-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Removed title from post and added image. Also fixed source (so it says theregister.co.uk)

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Apple has engaged in tying and monopolising behaviour, placing unneeded and unjustifiable technological restrictions on its most popular products in an effort to restrict consumer choice, and to restrain what little remains of its competition in the digital music markets.
    Yes, basically I agree. But not because of the missing WMA support which is anyway a bit laughable. I agree more to the claim regarding the iTunes music store as a whole because their DRM infested and overpriced services are not good for the consumer - they helped the recording industry, who also made them to offer such a bad store as those right holders distrust anyone when it comes to the fear that others would disrespect their business model. I don't see such a big problem in monopoly of iPod/iTunes like in the problem that the monopoly of the industry always arranges their prices like they want and require DRM like they feel the urgent need for it. Of course also Jobs doesn't like that everybody hates his DRM while the industry requires Apple to cripple the sold music (article).

Unfortunately we are not supposed to question the prices the industry sets as we can't understand their situation and needs, we must accept it; we need to pay their prices or resist their advertisement and live without their media - OR just violate their wish of events!