Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: ratio is stupid

Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I have indeed recieved virii from public trackers. Check out how many different uploads there are for games and cracks for apps/games. Start dling all of those and tell me how long you will last without an AV.
    when i started using torrents i use public torrents (the pirate bay)for 1 month...downloaded about 10-20 gb movie,and a few appilcations..and also i downloaded this game called "metal fatigue"[i had been looking for this game for an eternity].. i never found any virus.....may be some times shit happens like everything is perfect with private trackers...that doesnt mean you can generalize the whole statement about public tracker ..its just the attitude of the people who use it, if only people would upload private trackers with the same honesty on public trackers speeds would be different that doesnt mean you blame any particular public torrent..and also how often we find something on public torrents which we cant find on any other private torrents,i am thankfull for those public torrents being there and i will do whatever little i can to contribute to the communtiy...all though i might downlaod from private torrents because of better speeds my loyality is towards public torrents FOREVER!!!
    Last edited by stitched; 01-08-2008 at 06:07 PM.

"All that is gold does not glitter;all that is long does not last;All that is old does not wither; not all that is over is past..... "

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by stitched View Post
    that doesnt mean you can generalize the whole statement about public tracker ..
    ....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it....
    Sounds like your the one generalizing, I simply just answered your question as asked, yes i've used public trackers, and yes I've recieved virii. I never generalized anything, perhaps you mis-read.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Public trackers have better community, not true for every public tracker, and not true for i would say 99.9% of them.

Remember ISO hunt, Mininova, btjunkie, are not Public trackers they are torrent indexing sites, a totally different thing.

Blackcats used to be public. without those link sites, the tracker would have been dead (no seeders or leechers) with those sites, the seeders/leechers were heaving, but the community was dead.

Most people never look at the announce on a torrent unless they have to (Private torrent) so I upload them to mininova, seeds/leech go into 1000`s within hours, but no one actually comes to the site because they dont even know Blackcats exists, they think its a mininova torrent.

that is the real drawback with these link sites, public trackers very very rarely get any visitors compared to Private trackers. also ratio doesnt exist, and i would say 90% of people that use public trackers hit and run badly. that also becomes true when a private tracker opens the doors, uploads nulled torrents onto mininova etc, gets 20,000 new members, withing a week, those 15-18,000 of those have been banned for low ratio.

like i said, ive run both. and private is definately the way to go.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by yayyyyyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperator View Post

I agree, ratio system is obsolete, trackers should only care Hit and runners
    and have a mininum bw for entrance (100mbit up? 1 gbit up? you name it)

What does that do to people in the US though where a "Business Class" connection (best offered around here and its like 60 bucks a month) is only 20mbit down 1.5mbit up?

I think Ratios should be displayed, but not used to ban/restrict. Users should be able to make their own wise decisions based on ratios. For instance, a 10mb file with 150 seeders and 5 peers probably doesn't need to be seeded after you download. Then again, that 150 seeders might not build up in the first place without ratio rules enforced.

See the main problem with bittorent is peoples damn greediness. It's based heavily on honesty/good will. Which is why I prefer sites with good communities to those with billions of files. They usually overlook things like this to a certain extent. (They usually require you to keep something like a .8 ratio, come on now that really isn't hard :/) My ratio is 3,162.796 on a certain site right now. But thats because I leave my computer on constantly.
    Last edited by Shibathedog; 01-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by symphonyx View Post

They live because of leechers, and because old stuff is hard to find on private trackers (most of them are 0days)

No wonder why public trackers have awful speeds, viruses and no community.. .
    have you ever used public trackers.....yes the speeds are awfull....but they have a lot better community then most of the private trackers....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it..(i said that because u seem to hate public trackers,and y would any one otherwise want to upload a virus,then again....my statement also implies "being infected by a virus is entirely possible).with all your "private tracker is way better then public tracker bull sh*t".
    i just hate this kind of talk...if u dont know about something dont say bad things about it .
    here is the quote^^ and may be it will help you judge who was generalising...i have even writen an explanation in brackets...
    ...i was talking bout about the previous post which was judgemental...i never said you generalised anything,the you i was refering to was "public tracker haters,in general" forgive me for having not mentioned it earlier@TOKEMAN

well anyways forget about it.. i dont know know much...i have never run a public or private tracker, far from it still looking to become member of a few trackers....i will just take stoi's word for it...but still putting down a public tracker was totally uncalled for....i a big fan of the pirate bay (public tracker)and i stand up for things i care
    Last edited by stitched; 01-08-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spellings and etc..

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well the piratebay is not the "norm" when it comes to public trackers, i meant those trackers that are run from users pcs, that believe it or not make up 99% of public trackers.

no one ever comes to them (some do yeah but not many) something like TPB though is that well known, people go there instead of Mininova etc to get what they want.

lets just say the TPB is an anomoly when it comes to trackers, it has the torrents and peers of a public tracker, but the community of a very big private tracker.

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    Kind of reminds me of demonoid.

I definitely think more and more trackers should move to seed time over ratio. If I seed something for 32 days and have only developed a ratio of 0.5 there's something wrong with that. I definitely like what BCG does with the seed points its some of the best stuff out there as your given upload as a reward for seeding the proper amount of time and it doesn't have to be done all at once. Other sites do plain seed time which works too.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by disconny View Post
    i really miss the free leech during christmas time
    why must stuff come out now worth downloading?
    if you hate ratio, join A-L. they ask you to seed for a certain period to avoid hit and runs, but you don't necassarily need to maintain a good ratio. seed bonuses are another way of fighting 'ratio', but instead of getting rid of the 1.1 rule or whatever, you can 'buy' ratio with seed times

sites i can think of that have some form of this:

TTi
    Kray
    Rockbox
    A-L
    Libble
    STM
    ST

so i guess use those trackers if you hate ratio. i like this extra 'bonus', but personally i still try and seed to at the very least 1.1, unless there way more seeders than leechers, so i can save upload for my torrents that need it

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Live.Love.Trance BT Rep: +4
    comments about virii: if you need anti virus software, learn about protecting yourself. I haven't used an AV in about 4 years and used public trackers everyday for everything. Never got a single bad file.
    BitMeTV - x264 - What.cd - TTi - TDC
    S** - rTT - TL - Goem - Waffles - TR
    HDBits - Flower - S*T - Seedbox - Home

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    Live.Love.Trance BT Rep: +4
    comments about virii: if you need anti virus software, learn about protecting yourself. I haven't used an AV in about 4 years and used public trackers everyday for everything. Never got a single bad file.
    BitMeTV - x264 - What.cd - TTi - TDC
    S** - rTT - TL - Goem - Waffles - TR
    HDBits - Flower - S*T - Seedbox - Home

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456