Thread: A good client

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Does anyone know of a client which can search through retained files not still listed on the newsgroups, but on the newsserver. And is either free, or can be cracked and used for searching? If not how much does it cost to get the search service for NewsBin?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    alt.binz has a xpat search feature that has been available for some time, so it is sufficient if you download the last free version of the application. (*cough* the current one that is only available to donors has been uploaded to a newsgroup)
    Last edited by Daniel; 01-12-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: terrible english

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I don't know if I'm not using it properly, or if the NewsBin search engine is better, or what, but I was able to get a lot more targeted, and better results with the NewsBin search. I am a complete newbie to Usenet, so I really have no idea about what the differences in the search are, but I'm just not getting great results with any of the alt.binz integrated search engines.

Edit: I think it might be because not all of the groups are listed in those engines. There are a bunch of groups which aren't listed in the search able groups. How do I add them?
    Last edited by Torture_Artist; 01-14-2008 at 02:32 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Use Binsearch. There's 2 different sets of groups, "popular" and "others." These are controlled via the dropdown menu. Search in popular first, then change to others and search again. This should help you find what you need.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Binsearch is coming up with nothing at all (regardless what I search, or what I set it to)...

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    NewsLeecher has SuperSearch but it's not free

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I got Binsearch working (I don't know why it wasn't working before), and it's doing a great job. Thanks guys.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    gohugo's Avatar -=verygeek=-
    nzbmatrix is great

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Anyone know an easy to use client? they all seem kinda complicated.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Stevvo, Alt.Binz is a little confusing at first, but now that I've gotten used to the interface, I'd have to say I am very satisfied with it (I will likely make a donation to the creators soon). It is quite good. My only complaint is that they don't have something which allows you to just double click on a file and download it, downloading interface isn't very good. But otherwise it's superb.