Thread: Graphics Card Question

Hey,

Does anyone know much about the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT? I currently have the ATI Radeon X1900 XT and was wondering if I should upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT for Mac Pro.

Is the card I currently have better? I will be doing a lot of video editing, and using Flash 9 Pro for applications. Any help would be much appreciated.

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    VGA Chart

The 8800GT is that better card. You can use the chart above to see just how much better.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Based on the current card you have, you shouldn't upgrade yet. Just wait for nvidia to come out with their next gen card (8900s or something).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    Based on the current card you have, you shouldn't upgrade yet. Just wait for nvidia to come out with their next gen card (8900s or something).

I would do that but i'm not sure if it would be compatible with mac pro. I thought the 8800GT would be the only option for yet another year or so. Is that true. I have bootcamp but I hate Windoiws except for games. Guys thanks for all your help.

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    next gen nVidia cards are nothing new. the 9800's are still the gforce 8 cards, but with a shrunken die. that's it.

as for getting the 8800gt if ur spending $260 on a card that's hard to cum by i would just recommend getting the 8800gts (g92) version over it. u'll only pay $40 more. then again... that's whay i'd do.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    next gen nVidia cards are nothing new. the 9800's are still the gforce 8 cards, but with a shrunken die. that's it.

as for getting the 8800gt if ur spending $260 on a card that's hard to cum by i would just recommend getting the 8800gts (g92) version over it. u'll only pay $40 more. then again... that's whay i'd do.

I would like to get the Ultra but I don't think there os OSX drivers for it as well as the GTS. Apple is charging $349.00 for the 8800GT. I have bootcamp but I don't want to work in Windows. It's just for games. My ATI Raedon X1900XT from Apple cost me $399.00. I was just wondering if the 8800GT was better or not. I might just wait until the next gen comes out and get it for BootCamp games.

Thanks Again,

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    can I curse? FUCK!
    The problem is next gen is probably going to hope on the PCI-Express 2.0 which means you won't be taking full advantange of the next gen cards if you're still on 1.0.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    The problem is next gen is probably going to hope on the PCI-Express 2.0 which means you won't be taking full advantange of the next gen cards if you're still on 1.0.
    Not true, PCIe16x 1.1 cards have shown up to 10% increases in performance in the 2.0 slots. SLI systems have shown more. The Performance gain isn't as significant as that of cards designed for greater bandwidth, but it is there.

BTW, here's another site for GPU comparison

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=&card2=