Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 tb hard drives

sumvell's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    I know one BIG con which makes me weary. Solid State Drives have data writing limits where HDDs have virtually none. Isn't the max number of writes like 500,000? Seems to be among the major cons for this technology.
    Thats a very interesting point.
    The early bird gets the worm. But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    i have 800 GB on RAID 0!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by badvirus View Post
    i have 800 GB on RAID 0!!!
    Good luck with that raid. I've lost 2 arrays in the past due to hardware issues. Since then I've stuck with single HDDs.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    I know one BIG con which makes me weary. Solid State Drives have data writing limits where HDDs have virtually none. Isn't the max number of writes like 500,000? Seems to be among the major cons for this technology.
    As far as direct reports from the DVN guys, as well as Mtron direct they are rating the lifespan of Solid State NAND material at 140 years of 50GB read/write per day. So, unless you are constantly using the drive in a server 365 days, 24/7 I can honestly say these drives will probably outlast most rotating mechanical drives for the average desktop user.
    From a discussion here.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    dragging this up again...

i was on engadget and read that sony's top end vaio tz comes with a 64gb ssd where windows is installed to improve boot time PLUS its 250gb hdd.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/v...configuration/

go early adopters!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Since I've switched back to XP 64, I'm seriously considering reviving my iRAM 4GB ramdisk for the OS.
    Just have to come up with 4 x 1GB sticks of DDR.

Of all my different storage configurations, the iRAM is by far my fave.

So I'd have a 4GB ramdisk for the OS, 2 x 250GB in RAID0 for apps and data and a external 500GB eSATA for backup.

Sweet.

Then, as soon as practical- and I'm sticking to my 18 month prediction- I'll start converting over to SSDs.

Can't wait.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Not unless you have 2 750 gigs in RAID.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    dragging this up again...

i was on engadget and read that sony's top end vaio tz comes with a 64gb ssd where windows is installed to improve boot time PLUS its 250gb hdd.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/v...configuration/

go early adopters!
    Agreed. They help bring prices down for the rest of us.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    davidw89's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    i got 2 500gb w.d. not raided (dont know how to do ti and which one is best)
    waiting for at least 1.5tb or 2tb..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I don't think this is quite right.

Physical size of the platter doesn't change.
    To increase the capacity of a drive either the data density has to grow (i.e., implement perpendicular recording, for instance) or another platter is added- or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmo85
    How long untill 1.5 TB HD are available? Will there be performance gains? will they run more quietly or more power efficient?
    Current HDDs are dinosaurs and investing in large capacity units seems like a bad idea to me.
    Solid state drives are going to become the norm- sooner rather than later- and run silently while using less power and generating less heat.

A side benefit to the commercialization of SSDs will be the elimination of optical drives as well.
    We've seen the continuous increase in capacity- coupled with a corresponding drop in price- of thumb drives, to the point where it will soon be economically feasible to provide content (both software and media) on a USB drive rather than a disk.
    This couples with the ability of new operating systems (i.e., Vista) to boot from a flash drive, thus, no disks needed.

This should lead to a fairly radical change in the appearance of desktop PCs.
    If you look at the design of cases, one of the major parameters is that it's necessary to accommodate the size of an optical drive, both it's width and depth. To a slightly lesser degree, this is also true of mechanical HDDs.
    Remove these two units from the picture and now the case need only be large enough to fit the motherboard and power supply and all you need to interface with the PC is access to a USB port.

Should be interesting.
    I don't think we'll be moving to SSD's anytime soon theyr still coming down in price too slowly and have issues of their own.

I don't know when 1.5BTb HDD's will be available but according to Seagate using their new HAMR technology they should have 5Tb HDD's on shelves by 2010:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...e-breakthrough

Hitachi have plans for their own "Terabyte Era" HDD's packing 4Tb of space by 2011:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/storag...HDD-By-2011/p1

I don't think storage is going to slow done one bit in the foreseeable future.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast